Grayscale portrait

CindyMoonMcKee

Travis_grayscale-small.jpg

This is a fairly complete grayscale in Krita. I'm going to try to colorize it using different modes. (I'm loving digital!)

I love how this came out. I have done some digital grayscale and I have found it fun as well.

I'll be interested to see how you decide to colorize it.

Travis_001a-Color.jpg
I quickly did lots of color modes. Just trying them out and I wrote a post:
My blog about it
Into that, I placed a screenshot of that work in Krita. It shows all the layers, with all those modes. :) What I don't like is the splotchy effect. There were tons of splotches. I liked the overlay mode.
You know how a bad camera exaggerates all the marks, and lights and darks in a physical painting? Same thing. All the little marks in my grayscale became prominent.

Excellent! I assumed I was looking at a very nice graphite drawing.

Very nice Cindy. The addition of color was a success.

I have done some digital grayscale as well and had the same problem. It behaves so much like natural media charcoal or pastel that it even duplicates all the problems I have had in the past using those media. Doesn't it know that I don't want it to be that close to natural media???? :ROFLMAO:

I love working in digital as well. I have just been taking a break from it while I play with some water-soluble graphite (that also has splotchiness problems) but I know I will do more digital in the future. Like you, I love working with it.

I look forward to seeing some more of your work.

I think this turned out incredible! I even love the grayscale. Maybe you can keep both versions? It's really good! ♥️

Ha, ha, the blotchiness is a problem in physical charcoal and graphite, too, yeah. I kept both versions and a third with background.
Now I'm trying the smart canvas and wet oil brushes in Krita, and don't know when I'll ever get back to physical.

Back