Etretat - France

I thought of Monet too and then wondered if he was fortunate to have a cat as a plein air companion. You never know! These are wonderful and I'm in awe that you actually got to spend time painting such a famous and beautiful sight.

Donna, lol 🤣 I think usually artists walk on plein air location with dogs. Your right I had an extra challenge when painting these rocks because the cat wanted to move around a lot and I wanted to paint. So we had quite a fight 😉 but I had her fav cat candy with me and gave her treats so we managed somehow. I'm usually very clean painter but this time paint was all over me, on hand and clothes. I add here some more photos of the rocks and of her, too. Thank you for your kind words. Painting on this beach was quite an experience.
Simply, when I go paint plein air I try to paint what I see. I'd say I copy nature but have been trying to change that lately a little bit. I guarantee these were very difficult to paint and I was sure I couldn't paint them b/c I can't paint rocks so I keep these as a good memory of this beach.

In the first photo I painted the rock on my right hand side first b/c afternoon sunset hit on it. Then me and my cat waited for a while so that the rock on my left side would turn blue which would happen when the sun disappears behind it. I wanted to try painting blues because my plein air teacher has taught me the colors for blues in nature and the basics on atmospheric perspective in distance .. anyway .. I am thankful for my plein air teacher of all he's taught to me.
1CS_8295533rz.jpg

The ochre rock in focus:
2CS_8295542rz.jpg

The blue rock. I could have painted this with greys too but I wanted to try blues:
3CS_8295530rz.jpg

The blue rock in focus so that you can see detail:
4CS_8295541rz.jpg

My painting companion with the blue rock behind her:
5CS_8295568rz.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for more photos - including your adorable cat! If only her little beret would stay on. I think you made a good call in choosing blue for the one scene instead of gray. There is such nice color harmony with the sky.

Back