Elephant head - Mixed Media

Joy

Contributing Member
This is A5 size on Hahnemühle toned paper, 90CP, done in line, Graphitint watercolor pencils and a bit of gouache. I am not too keen on the pencils, as my preference is something with more impact.

BA6B99A2-3758-4FA3-8ACC-3E6575A559E8_1_201_a.jpeg

Looks great, Joy! I have tried watercolour pencils but there must be a technique that I haven’t tried. I just don’t get it.

CaliAnn - Thanks for commenting.
Sanlynn - I, too, am underwhelmed by water soluble CP. They may be ggod for some detail areas in watercolor pieces, as per some videos I have seen. Using regular CP is quite labor intensive and time-consuming. Artists (like Penny) that do such outstanding dog portraits have my admiration.

I love your palette on this one, Joy. Beautiful work! Sorry the pencils didn't live up to your expectations, but that's how we figure out what we like. :)

Nice work on this Joy. I've had the same problem with watercolor pencils. I end up picking up color with a damp brush and using them like watercolors.

Anne, I have seem some videos where that is done. Might as well just use the watercolors!

Nice work Joy. WC pencils are just used for details. For bigger surfaces they are more for 'experiment'.

Looks good nonetheless Joy. If you want more impact perhaps try acrylic inks, the colours are quite vibrant.

You may be disappointed in the pencils but it all worked well for the elephant. The softer colors worked very well for him. ❤️

Margaret, thanks for the kind words.
Shane, Inktense pencils have a good reputation, also.

I think you did a stellar job Joy. I know what you mean about watercolor pencils. I also think different brands works differently. I have some really good sharp ones from Germany that are amazing, but other ones that kinda suck? Not sure why that is. I don't use either much. Mave you ever tried oil pencils on top? I know that sounds way off, but I like the brilliance it brings. However, for this, I don't think it needs it. I love it as is. ♥️

Thanks, Ayin, for the gracious comments and suggestions. This was done with Derwent Graphitint, which is not designed to be intense. According to the mfr., they are "ideal for landscapes, animal studies and portraits". Since there is so much to learn (in any medium), I just want to concentrate on watercolor. Being a prodigious bargain hunter, many tubes been accumulated during the years, and I do not want to become a "collector" of supplies. But, ya know, I just need a few more colors. ;)

I know what you mean about collecting too many supplies, Joy. The small German set of pencils I was talking about was a gift from many years ago and all them are not even half used still, which is nice. The other ones (which I can't think of the make right now) I bought to experiment with because I didn't want to "ruin" the German ones! :ROFLMAO: Not until I thought I knew what I was doing first. Well, I still don't know how to work them really. I'm better at just painting with the watercolors and maybe adding black ink after, but lately (this is getting too long), I have been practicing not using ink at all anymore and leaving them "pure." I like the look of that better. It's just hard for me to leave the painting alone. I'm happier when I do though.

I especially like the painterly parts of the elephant, like the parts where you can see where a little water staining is in his head. These are characteristics about watercolors that I love to see. :)

Good work Joy! I like how you are always trying new things. I've never had any luck with watercolour pencils.

Kay, thank you for your comments. Your work is always inspirational. The pencils may come in handy for some details. Hey, I paid for them, so I am determined to use them! :D
Ayin, I'm almost over not wanting to "waste good supplies until I can paint better". :rolleyes: A little watercolor goes a long way, and I am not nearly as prolific as many others on CS. Learning to leave well enough alone is challenging. My preference is a more painterly, looser approach.

Back