Drafting Film for Animal Portraits

That looks like good info, Penny. Thanks for sharing. It reminds me a bit of some type of very thin, sheer plastic sheets someone gave me at a workshop to try. It is placed over your existing painting and one can draw on it or paint watercolors (I don't know about other media) to see if that change would be apllicable to your WIP. It can be erased or the watercolor wiped off. That way one can see if a change would benefit the work w/o marring the original.

Tha
That looks like good info, Penny. Thanks for sharing. It reminds me a bit of some type of very thin, sheer plastic sheets someone gave me at a workshop to try. It is placed over your existing painting and one can draw on it or paint watercolors (I don't know about other media) to see if that change would be apllicable to your WIP. It can be erased or the watercolor wiped off. That way one can see if a change would benefit the work w/o marring the original.
Thanks for that information, Joy. Perhaps it was a type of tracing paper you were given. I used coloured pencils, successfully, on the drafting film. It is quite expensive so I won’t be using it often.

Penny: thanks for sharing - interesting
Joy: thanks for the tip
I always love it when others share their knowledge, tips and experience! ❤️

I think the kind I have is some type of acetate film. It is matte on one side, shiny on the other, and very thin. One can draw and erase on the matte side, and paint on the shiny side. The sheets are separated by tissue paper. Since it was given to me, I don't know what brand it is. It is not rigid enough to use for stencils or finished works. Penny, I forgot I had it, so your thread reminded me! I would like to see you use it with a WIP and show us how it works for you.

That sound like drafting film, Joy.

This is the dog I drew on it.

79700767-5C90-4887-815A-A59A93F1FB4A.jpeg

I found it made the coloured pencils to act very like pastels, they blended easily, and it was easy to lift colour off with a putty eraser. The green background is paper behind the drawing. I haven’t tried a wet medium on film. Perhaps I’ll use it for the next thing I draw.

I’m still not wanting to make art. Benny has been ill and hospitalised. He came home today. I may feel like doing something soon.

Oh, that is spectacular! The eye have such a sparkle, and I just want to pet that silky hair. The film I have is very thin and curls at the edges. How do you mount this as a finished work? Attached to the paper under? I think the expense depends on the thickness and size. Dick Blick has quite a variety here.

How difficult that Benny is ill so soon after you got him. Being hospitalized must have been traumatic for you both. Good that he is back home with you.

Thank you, Joy. The film I have is quite robust. I used a normal frame, inserting the coloured paper behind the film. I left it so that the owners could choose another colour background if they wished - i.e. I didn't colour the reverse side. I think I have a couple of sheets of film somewhere but will have to search for them. As well as drawing/painting on the front you can add colour on the back because of its transparency. i look forward to you working on film.

Yes, dear Benny! It was a shock to have to part with him for 3 days but he was well cared for and I brought him home yesterday with intestinal treatment and diet plan. He’s on my lap, “claiming” me as his own and making sure I don’t disappear! Luckly, I have insured him as the treatment to date is around £800. 🐾🐾

I have used it in the past too. I found that the maximum number of layers of colored pencil it would take was about 6 but since it is transparent, you can add additional color on the back. The back works especially well if you want to strengthen some shadows or add something to the background. I also but colored paper behind it when framing it.

Back