Country Road

Wow! The changes you made give it a much sunnier look, John, and I'm glad the orange glazes worked for you. I won't miss any boat or cyclist either.

Yeah it's amazing how that upper third can change a painting right?. Thanks.

And thanks for the opinion on the extras. I value it.

Beautiful country scene John, love it.❤️ ❤️Looks like the good ole boys have been drag racing on the road, "peeling out". ;)

Thanks John. Surprisingly, I'm still sick! (Hate to say it.) I wish I could get back to art, but I just don't feel like it yet.

I know what you mean about the love/hate thing with acrylics, though, I just hate them. I've tried and tried with them, but they're just not my thing. I use them for underpainting only. I can't blend them worth a poo. They work well when building up a background for me with oils, but that's as much as I can use them. You seem to be mastering them already! ;)

John, this is an amazing landscape and you should be proud of it. Agree with other assessments that acrylics are difficult to like and to use in my humble opinion.

John, this is an amazing landscape and you should be proud of it. Agree with other assessments that acrylics are difficult to like and to use in my humble opinion.

Thanks Kay. It sold at the food market! My second sale. She had me write that down on the back.

I think I'm going to have to learn how to use acrylics. A lady likes my paintings but is looking for something large, like 4 feet square at least. I've been wanting to go larger but largest so far has been a 16 x 20.. I have no idea how to work that large except those size canvasses would be tough to do in watercolor. I guess I could go oil also but......

I'm pretty surprised and confused right now. Trying not to panic. :)

It has been helpful for me to use the more liquid-y acrylics, even thinning them down more to be more pliable and mixable on canvas or on paper. I do have the tubes and the heavy body but really do not like how they perform and the colors are not very realistic looking.

I think those "heavy body" acrylics are the easiest to work with so far (for me), but I still pretty much hate acrylic. Now, those are the only ones I use because they flow a little more like oils in terms of consistency. They dry much slower than normal acrylics too. They cost a little more, but you get what you pay for sometimes (most times).

I've been experimenting. By coating canvas with absorbent ground you can use very diluted watery acrylics like one would use watercolor or of course one can just use watercolor. It's a soft absorbent surface that can later be scraped into to remove the paint for lifting out. After varnishing it becomes durable. I would like to go large which means canvas but still be able to use watery paints thus the experiments.

I like the first one, but after reading about the actual scene and reading the suggestions I like the finished painting even more.

Back