Civil War Barn

ams

Pen and Inktense pencils in XL Mixed Media Sketchbook, about 5"x6".

This was from a challenge on antoher site. I love doing weathered wood so I couldn't resist this reference.

20240830Sk8 Old Barn (WDE)-Color.png

Perfection on your handling of that weathered wood. It's beautiful! Be extra proud of this one - terrific work. ❤️

Reactions: ams
Really one of your best! My first workshop was with Tony Couch, who seemed to paint old barns exclusively! Your restraint is admirable, as you do just enough to convey the detail.

Thank you so much for the comments. I felt really good about this one. I was inspired by a YouTube demo on pen and watercolor. I have been struggling with getting the color smooth in a larger area and blending out soft edges. She dampened the paper slightly with a waterbrush and then painted a light layer of color, then added more color once it was completely dry, again using a waterbrush with clear water first where appropriate.

Now that you explained how you got such lovely washes on lesser quality paper, I am even more impressed!

The drawing and rendering are both very good. But I get the feeling that I should be seeing a bit of the roof and wall on one side.

Beautifully done, Anne. That looks just like so many old barns here in the Ozarks. ❤️ ❤️

The drawing and rendering are both very good. But I get the feeling that I should be seeing a bit of the roof and wall on one side.
Thanks for your comment.

I was wondering about that too but you couldn't see it in the ref so I didn't put it in.

Now that I look at it more carefully, I see that we are probably standing slightly to the right and so we should see a little of the roof and side. I'll have to look at the reference again.

Back