Cats in Alley WIP

JessieNebulous

catorangealley.png

This is a digital painting, done in Krita. It's based on one of the photos given in the wet media challenge by Hawkmoth. I loved the composition and colors but my paints are still packed in preparation for moving house, so I decided to do a digital painting instead.

I'm terrible at perspective and buildings so I traced the buildings in the sketch layer. I avoided using the eyedropper tool to pull colors out, to practice picking and mixing colors myself. I plan to do some more fine tuning of the textures and shading and details, but I'm very pleased so far.

Looking very good. I like the textures on the walls and ground. You've done a good job choosing colors. That's an area that I still have problems with in digital so I tend to do color sampling as a starting point and then varying it from there.

Looking very good. I like the textures on the walls and ground. You've done a good job choosing colors. That's an area that I still have problems with in digital so I tend to do color sampling as a starting point and then varying it from there.
I've had problems mixing colors, particularly when working with acrylic. So I make a point to try mixing my own digital colors because I want to develop my color sense without wasting actual paints in traditional attempts.

I haven't experimented much with creating a pallet like you would with natural media and mixing my colors that way. Is that what you are doing? If so, do you mix your colors directly on the "canvas" or on a "pallet" and use the mixed color?

I like this! I recently mentioned another person's art as being almost abstract, and your digital painting has a similar feel for much the same reason! Of course, yours is grounded more in the realm of representational art by the inclusion of cats!
Also I tried Krita for Android recently and had trouble because everything was too small on an 8" Android tablet. Maybe If I can get over the learning curve, it will be easier.

Last edited:
I haven't experimented much with creating a pallet like you would with natural media and mixing my colors that way. Is that what you are doing? If so, do you mix your colors directly on the "canvas" or on a "pallet" and use the mixed color?
I think for me it's easier to mix on a pallet first but I have tried both methods. Last time I tried acrylics was a couple years ago, when I had little grasp of color theory. Now that I have some idea what I'm doing, I want to try acrylic again once we unpack at the new place and I get some sort of art setup going.

Reactions: ams
I like this! I recently mentioned another person's art as being almost abstract, and your digital painting has a similar feel for much the same reason! Of course, yours is grounded more in the realm of representational art by the inclusion of cats!
Also I tried Krita for Android recently and had trouble because everything was too small on an 8" Android tablet. Maybe If I can get over the learning curve, it will be easier.
Thank you! And I paint using a full tablet and laptop, so I can't imagine trying on a phone. Kudos to anyone who can manage that!

I always like a painting that is both abstract and representational at the same time and this one with your nice colors is very pleasing.

I LOVE the perspective on this! The buildings are so cool-looking to me. I love this just the way it is, but I understand it's a WIP. I'd keep it as is though. It's my favorite of yours. ♥️

Nice work JessieNebulous - it's looking great! I've been looking at this photo today (I was deciding which one to paint) so it's really fun for me to see your interpretation.

Back