Carol

WFMartin

This is a painting of my wife, Carol, that I used as a demonstration for my art club, in which I described my portrait painting method that I call, "The Progressive Focus Method" of painting a portrait. It involves absolutely NO drawing, whatsoever......no lines or "cartooning', but going straight to the canvas with a large brush, and paint. Quite honestly, it is the ONLY method I have found that will deliver a relatively accurate likeness of my model.
Carol_Final.jpg

Last edited:
hope you could demonstrate the "progressive focus method" someday online - I'd be in the (virtual) front row.

hope you could demonstrate the "progressive focus method" someday online - I'd be in the (virtual) front row.

Me too. It's quite lifelike. Very well done. I know someone named Carol too, but she looks slightly different. ;)

I surely can offer a quick demonstration of my "Progressive Focus Method" for painting a portrait. And, to answer someone else's question, I only work from a reference photo. This method is particularly suited for using a reference photo, because the method involves the creation of 3, or perhaps even 4 stages of blur-to-sharp focus reference photos.

I have an article one my favorite art supplier's site, "The Art Treehouse". The link to my article on my portrait method is here:

I purchase every ingredient that I use for my painting medium from The Art Treehouse, operated by a very helpful gentleman, named Robert Maynord. His prices are extremely reasonable.

Back