Can I fix up this acrylic painting any?

16ga

This painting came in the lot of frames I recently got and I’d like to fix it up.
It’s 24”x36” inches and acrylic on stretchered canvas with no varnish or such over it. Artist is unknown to me and I’ve found nothing trying to look up the signature. I’m guessing a little known local artist.
I have little to no experience with acrylics. Especially when its on canvas.
20230702_121909E.jpg

The painting itself has a canvas which is now stretched some and loose, multiple dents in the canvas, cracks in the paint, and what looks to be an ink spot in the center. Its also fairly dirty.
20230702_121937.jpg

20230702_121943.jpg

Is there anything I can do to fix any of it and anyway to clean it without removing the paint? Just looking for ideas.

My experience with acrylics is that they are very tough and water-proof. I like repair challenges so here are my ideas:
You could tighten the frame by putting another stretcher frame inside of it and using shims to tighten the original frame; or, art suppliers have corner wedges to tighten the frame.
The canvas looks like it was never properly primed, or gessoed, so I would put a heavy coat of latex or acrylic primer on the back of the canvas - that should strengthen the cracked or creased areas so they don't open up - otherwise those creases on the front are "character" marks.
Gently clean the surface with a damp sponge, that should have no affect on the acrylic. After it dries, you could use a flat or matte varnish on the front surface to further strengthen the canvas. MinWax has small cans of water-based varnish that dries quickly - or a spray can of Krylon varnish.
Buy a couple of those little jars of cheap acrylic hobby paint to mix and match and cover that ink mark.
Hope that helps, good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks Bongo and Zen.

The paint has texture to it. Especially in the trees and bushes. I took some rubbing alcohol to a spot on the back and it dissolved the paint.
I have no clue how well the canvas was to start with but it seems like its been poorly stored for years. It was in a garage which I’m not sure is heated and before that supposedly in a shed which I’m assuming wasn't. It also seems to have had stuff against it and poking at the canvas so my guess is that’s whats misshaped it.

I know with oil paints you can use water and heat to kinda shrink the canvas at spots. Do you think something like that would work with acrylic? I’m thinking I can stretch the canvas as you say but I expect there will still be some misshapen spots where it was leaning on things.
And thanks. I’ll give that all a try. Its just going to be another week or 2 before my art rooms back together so I have time to think about it.

I took some rubbing alcohol to a spot on the back and it dissolved the paint.
Don't use alcohol, that's a chemical solvent. It might be ink. Just try a soft sponge dampened with water. Like Bongo said, that may be a print on cheap canvas. That doesn't explain the texture. It's not to my taste, but whoever created this had real skill. It may be a multiple copy of hotel/restaurant art.

I know with oil paints you can use water and heat to kinda shrink the canvas at spots. Do you think something like that would work with acrylic? I’m thinking I can stretch the canvas as you say but I expect there will still be some misshapen spots where it was leaning on things.
I think it will work the same for this. I'd use a spray bottle of water, maybe use distilled water if you are too worried. I don't know what to do with the ink blots and discoloring though. :(

What's the artist's name? I had the same problem with a painting in our living room, over the sofa of course. My parents bought it in the late 1940's in California for $80 USD, which was a lot then. It was signed but it took me a while to find the artist, located near San Francisco, who painted a number of them for the hotel/restaurant trade. Still not worth a lot more, but we like the subject, a black panther and parrot in a tree, reminiscent of Mexican art.

I picked up a free framed canvas a while back - one of those mass produced prints - and it had several dents in it. I placed it face down on a towel on a hard surface and put a damp dish towel over the dents. Then I applied a little pressure with a hot iron. It took the dents out completely. I don’t know if you’d want to risk trying that but I had nothing to lose with mine.

Thanks Zen, Arty and Donna. Sorry for the delay. I got side tracked.
Don't use alcohol, that's a chemical solvent. It might be ink. Just try a soft sponge dampened with water. Like Bongo said, that may be a print on cheap canvas. That doesn't explain the texture. It's not to my taste, but whoever created this had real skill. It may be a multiple copy of hotel/restaurant art.
I used the alcohol to test if it was acrylic or oil. Its pretty thick at places so i don't believe its ink.
One of multiple copies or a mass produced painting are possibilities.

Also here's the signature. it seems to be Dante.
20230709_110620.jpg

I've found no leads searching it though my google skills aren't the greatest.

My thinking is dampen the back and then use hot air to dry it. it should shrink the canvas without the risk of burning it though I figure it does still have the possibility of cracking or pealing the paint.

Its basicly just a chance for me to experiment with fixing something up. but i have a family member who would like it for in a bathroom if I don't screw it up in the process.

Back