Call me

Terri

Supporting Member
It seems I'm not done with the phone painting yet. :LOL:

I've been playing with a new gel plate, making tons of prints since apparently that's the best way to break it in. I really like using translucent papers, and liked the orange pattern I got on top of one. I thought it might be worth testing out an image transfer over a gel plate piece. I used a printout of a photo of the phone painting for the image transfer, which seemed to work fine.

Then it was just a matter of cutting up some other prints from the gel plate, and adding some text. I also have a small phone book from 1960, and used some of that in the upper left corner.

Call me, final.jpg

The whole thing is mounted on a 9x12" piece of watercolor paper. Just playing. :) Thanks for looking!

I knew you were going to do great things with your gel plate, Terri! I love how this turned out - especially because you used your own telephone image. The patterns, prints and text add up to a really cool piece and I can’t wait to see more like this! How did you do the image transfer? I’ve played around trying to transfer magazine images and they rarely work out.

Just playing. :)
.. well, the world is the artist's playground and look what you found in a phone .. I actually watched a tube of gel plates as I wanted to know what they were and how they worked. Very interesting indeed. Reminds me of when younger I played around with a paint pen .. wow, the things you can do with a fine spray and here it's the things you can do with a roller .. Your piece is very cool indeed.

Donna, Wayne - thank you both for the kind words! ❤️

Wayne, you're right, I do like to explore various methods to recycle or interpret my images, though it's usually photography.

Donna, this image transfer of the phone was done with a clear Chartpak pen. I printed out my own photo of the phone (reversed), and laid it over the sheet from the gel plate. (It's xylene based, so I keep the overhead fan going so the fumes don't hang in the air.)

Then I had this nice translucent sheet with the orange background and the phone transfer, so that's when I started to cobble other elements together. :)

I have not tried a transfer yet with magazines. From what I've read, they work well with glossy type paper, like you see in fashion. Do you know what you were using when you had success? It could be the magazine paper that gave you problems.

Call you? What should we call you? 😆 This is really a fun piece and so well done. I love it. ❤️

Nicely done. Looks like you are having lots of fun with your new technique.

Thanks for explaining that, Terri. Your method works so well. Sometimes there are free magazines at our library so I bring home any with glossy pages like Vogue. Rolling the right thickness of paint on the plate is tricky and I get lots of models with blobs of paint on their faces or smeared eyes. Serves them right for looking so grumpy.

Sno, Anne, Hermes - thank you all! @snoball : I don't care what you call me as long as it isn't nasty. :geek:

@Hermes2020 : I'm not actively planning on it, but sometimes stuff just pops into my head, so I run with it. If it doesn't work, that's okay. If it works, even better!

I do tend to play with images that I either really like, or that tormented me for whatever reason, and that phone painting tormented me. We'll see. ;)

God I hated number that were high, <click><click> <click> <click> <click> <click> <click> <click> <click> <click> <click> .
If you have an 8 or a 9 in your number, I'll need to sit down.

Back