Best way to fix torn canvas?

wirfi

I participated in an art walk/exhibition this past Sunday. During travel and exhibition two of my paintings was damaged, small tears/holes in the canvas.
Both paintings was recently varnished. Anyone have tips on the best way to mend them?

I have started looking this up and read different methods. Someone said to glue new canvas on the backside with PVC (if I remember correctly) glue.

I've seen Baumgartner restauration on Youtube and he usually glues small threads of canvas on the backside, but I don't now which glue he is using. Has also sometimes fills in the crack on the front with something, but I don't think any canvas is missing on mine so I don't think I have to do that.

saras1.jpg

I have repaired canvas in this way--gluing a larger piece of canvas to the backside with a clear polymer and putting a heavy weight on top until it's fully dry. You just have to make sure the rip is exactly connected at the ripped part of the seam. Then, I've had to touch up the paint on the painted side (sometimes), depending if it was still noticeable. That is a real shame that it ripped. One time, one of mine was ripped so bad, a long, long rip, I had to give it up. :(

I have repaired canvas in this way--gluing a larger piece of canvas to the backside with a clear polymer and putting a heavy weight on top until it's fully dry. You just have to make sure the rip is exactly connected at the ripped part of the seam. Then, I've had to touch up the paint on the painted side (sometimes), depending if it was still noticeable. That is a real shame that it ripped. One time, one of mine was ripped so bad, a long, long rip, I had to give it up. :(
Thank you :) This was minor tears, where the corner of the other paintings had fallen on them. Partly because with my first setup, a sudden gust of wind came and blew everything down ;) It was surprising, because the wind kept calm for the most of the day.
The image is after that, when I had put everything on the ground and secured it to the table with steel wire.

I was told that last year someones painting was blown out into the water (who connects to the sea a couple of hundred meters away). Compared to that I was lucky I guess, haha.

Back