Anti-Kinkade

Artyczar

I don't know how this one will fly here, but this is my Thomas Kinkade painting called Everything is Illuminated. It's oil on canvas. I did it a long time ago in 2006. It's 24 x 36 inches (without the frame).

illuminateddetail.jpg

Oh yeah, that's anti-Kinkade alright. No painter of light there! I think it says exactly what you wanted it to say. :giggle: Oh and I should have said, I love it.

I wish there were a few other emojis under the likes (roll-eyes?) but even more I wish you could choose more than one. Your painting makes me laugh, Arty... but I also like it so I'd like to give it this: :love:🤣

By the way... have you read Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer?

Oh yeah, that's anti-Kinkade alright. No painter of light there! I think it says exactly what you wanted it to say. :giggle: Oh and I should have said, I love it.

Thank you. Hard to "love" this one, but thank you!!! I really appreciate it. :) It was for an anti-Kinkade exhibition. All the artists were given frames like these and told to do anti-Kinkade pieces. A lot of artists cut up their frames and repurposed them and few actually made paintings.

I realize this piece is not something that's for everyone's wall. Believe it or not I have almost sold it twice. I wouldn't be surprised if I did because there are some odd collectors out there. I wouldn't hang it on my wall either.

SLG, Yes, I read Safran Foer's book sometime in the mid 2000s. It was left in the laundry room at my old apartment building, but I didn't get around to it until a couple years after I got it. I really liked the movie too. I love Liev Schreiber (big fan), so I think it was an incredible adaptation, one of few book to film successes. I read it after/around the same time I read Bee Season, which is another favorite book of mine (Myla Goldberg). That was a okay adaptation. Not as good.

I first read Foer's book on Joseph Cornell which I quite enjoyed, so I picked up Everything is Illuminated and read it when it first came out. The beginning as funny as Philip Roth, Flannery O'Connor, Donald Barthleme, etc... then it moved into something akin to Magic Realism before the tragic ending. I thought it was quite good and loaned it to my studio mate (yes, that one) who didn't get beyond the first chapter because he has this aversion to humor in "Art" because in his mind only high-minded serious tragedy qualifies as Art. But then he'll run home to watch Predator for the 25th time. 😄

Arty, it's a talent what you have!
I can't do that (story) at all, that's why I paint "pots and fruits" and try to copy nature directly. You are doing good with the story.(y)

Back