another friday face

mbeckett

these are actually part of a challenge in a facebook group and i've grown to love doing them in fountain pen and alcohol marker. think i'll have to add a set of skin tone alcohol markers to my Christmas wish list!
😛
i only have a set of 72 and not many are suitable for skin tones. i overworked her trying to find the right tones. ah well. next one's the best one! ;)
facetasticfriday 2021-11-05.jpg

facetasticfriday 2021-11-05 WIP1.jpg

facetasticfriday 2021-11-05 WIP2.jpg

"only" 72? I wish I had so many!

This is really nice, I love the way you've done the hair with the squiggling marks, that texture, and the little sneaky bit of red in the shadow side is just *chef's kiss*. So marker first then coming back in for the lineart? I'm going to make a note of that. I haven't done lineart on marker stuff because they would surely dissolve it, never thought to do the lines after the color stage.

Wow! This is amazing. Thank you for a couple of progress images too. I love seeing those. I have tried some of those markers and they frustrate me to no end! I don't know how you get these blends! Amazing!!!! ♥️ ♥️ ♥️

That's super! The marks are really lively and her facial expression is terrific. Really nice work.

"only" 72? I wish I had so many!

This is really nice, I love the way you've done the hair with the squiggling marks, that texture, and the little sneaky bit of red in the shadow side is just *chef's kiss*. So marker first then coming back in for the lineart? I'm going to make a note of that. I haven't done lineart on marker stuff because they would surely dissolve it, never thought to do the lines after the color stage.
thanks drizzleweather! i am using a permanent ink in my fountain pen. but its not permanent unless it has dried thoroughly it seems. i do go back and forth between pen and marker on the last stage, using the fine nib on the marker and avoiding the ink just in case. there are only about 10 markers in this set that i can use for skin tones. they work better for warmer skin tones than the ones on this girl.

Wow! This is amazing. Thank you for a couple of progress images too. I love seeing those. I have tried some of those markers and they frustrate me to no end! I don't know how you get these blends! Amazing!!!! ♥️ ♥️ ♥️
thanks Arty! there is lots of back and forth and overlap between blended colors. and there's a colorless blender. if you get the paper 'wet' enough with the ink in the marker or colorless blender, they blend surprisingly well. i think the trick is finding the right paper.

That's super! The marks are really lively and her facial expression is terrific. Really nice work.
Beautiful.

thank you Claudia and Deborah! :)

Last edited:
I didn't realize you could wet these. Thanks! I will also let Hannah know, as she has been playing with these kinds of markers more than I have.

I didn't realize you could wet these. Thanks! I will also let Hannah know, as she has been playing with these kinds of markers more than I have.
just to clarify, when i say wet, i mean you can saturate the paper with the ink in the markers or with the colorless blender, not with water.

Ohhhhh! I see what you mean. NOT WATER! (And not milk either.) I would have used water. Glad you clarified. Thank you! :)

Wonderful Mike. I love how this came out and how you did her hair. Thanks for the explanation of the markers too. I haven't had much luck with markers but you have made them work well.

I don't think she's overworked, I think she's awesome! :) Great expression here. You're doing excellent work with these markers. I love it!

I love the expression you captured. I bet she has a lot to say. I like the way she looks at you. Oh those eyes! So penetratin.

Wonderful portrait sketch! And I love the fact that you have used a fountain pen and colour markers. That makes me want to try something like this in ink and watercolour wash.

Back