Almeria - Palm Oasis I

moscatel

oil painter
I drove to Spain last year 2022 to paint pleinair. I was on the trip few months starting in spring but felt the heat of Seville in summer too. The first destination was Almeria.
Almeria is desert so I was lucky to find this palm oasis near where I stayed.
Oil on canvas, 31x27cm.
1_View_to_the_Village_in_Isleta_31x27cm.jpg

2_20220601_094316.jpg

Some more onlocation views. I was able to see all that I painted in the painting from that little window in between the palms but also left some more sea visible in the painting.
3_20220601_094323.jpg

4_20220601_094335.jpg

Thank you for looking. C&C welcome.

Nice work especially on the palm trees.
I too have painted on unstretched canvas while traveling abroad. It is much easier and lighter to transport.
I hope all is well,
Kyle

Wayne, Kyle thank you!

Wayne, this area was pretty wild and messy so kind of difficult to paint, too.

Kyle, I find unstretched canvas so useful on the painting trips, usually.

Very nice. The palm tree fronds especially -- and the sky.

How do you go about painting on unstretched canvas in the field? And how do you carry wet canvases?

Terri, Bongo and Jo, thank you!

Bongo, lately I've been carrying wet canvases simply with c-clamp (the orange tool in the picture) in my hand. I can also use two same size panels and four thick pieces of cork (pieces need to be same size, if the facing panels are small then the cork pieces can be very thin) in each corner tightened by masking tape, not much mask. tape needed, only the corner areas. Now that I think of larger paintings could actually have even 6 pieces of cork but I never really used that many. If the painting and the facing panel are not large I can fit it in my back bag. This cork method sounds lot of work but not that much, it's quickly done.
I also try to remember to leave one or more corners unpainted so that I can carry it better when I don't use the cork system.

Painting on a piece of canvas: I attach piece of canvas with masking tape to a board and it's very paintable.

It was about a mile or little more to carry wet canvases from this oasis to home. Usually l don't go carrying that far.

this area was pretty wild and messy so kind of difficult to paint, too.
That is what I meant. So many different compositions in one place makes it difficult to maintain one’s original concept of composition.
Good that you could hold on to your ideal of what you wanted to say. 👌

Very nice. The palm tree fronds especially -- and the sky.

How do you go about painting on unstretched canvas in the field? And how do you carry wet canvases?
Here's with pictures explained the cork process:
1. cutting cork
P7018013.JPG

2. cut half
P7018014.JPG

3. set cork pieces to corners of a wet painting
P7018015.JPG

4. put the counter part over
P7018017.JPG

5. ready to add mask.tape
P7018016.JPG

P7018018.JPG

7. to the corners
P7018019.JPG

8. it doesn't move, it's tight packed. Ready to carry in a back bag.
P7018020.JPG

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Wet canvas is attached well to a board with masking tape. The middle area of the canvas tends to move away from the board but if I cut cork thicker the wet canvas won't touch the counter part. I carry wet canvases home that way often. It works.

Thanks for the link. I never saw those before.

That's a beautiful painting - I love your palms! It looks like an interesting place to visit. Thanks also for showing us how you transport your work. 🙂

Thanks Triduana, this is a perfect place to get lost from the civilization. In the village there live 50 ppl but in summer months village is full. There are no cafeterias, but 3 super good restaurants where customers come from far away, all the way from Germany. The area is a natural park with volcanos. 🌋 In the last photo in my original post in this thread there's one volcano.

Back