Adventures with a Rusty Camshaft

Hermes2020

I have obtained a rusty old crankshaft (don't ask how). Its interesting shape attracted me, so my first thought was to incorporate it into a sculpture, but I don't know where this will lead. It is 500mm long. Why is it that I find grungy scrap metal beautiful, while many other (sane) artists like to paint flowers? I will give updates as I go along; you can blame Arty for encouraging this kind of behaviour.

DSC_6425_1.jpg

DSC_6428_1.jpg

It can be interesting to find the aesthetic beauty in what others might immediately dismiss as ‘ugly.’ At the same time, as one who paints lots of flowers (and figures) I am more than well aware that there are endless paintings of flowers and nudes that are in no way interesting… and perhaps therein lies part of the challenge. Over the years I made a good many collages and assemblages constructed of what others had discarded. For years my studio was stacked high with scraps of discarded furniture, wood, glass, and paper. I’ll be interested (that word again) to see what you make of this.

It can be interesting to find the aesthetic beauty in what others might immediately dismiss as ‘ugly.’ At the same time, as one who paints lots of flowers (and figures) I am more than well aware that there are endless paintings of flowers and nudes that are in no way interesting… and perhaps therein lies part of the challenge. Over the years I made a good many collages and assemblages constructed of what others had discarded. For years my studio was stacked high with scraps of discarded furniture, wood, glass, and paper. I’ll be interested (that word again) to see what you make of this.
I like your observations very much. I also cannot wait to see what develops out of the crankshaft!

I guess I just have a different perspective. For example, while others are admiring a landscape, I will most likely have my nose stuck up against a rock marvelling at the beauty of the lichen growth.

I think it's a camshaft. It pushes the intake and exhaust valves down to open and close them. It choreographs the dance and music of an engine. It's aligned eccentricity is it's power.

I think it's a camshaft. It pushes the intake and exhaust valves down to open and close them. It choreographs the dance and music of an engine. It's aligned eccentricity is it's power.
Oh, thanks for enlightening me. I only know how to drive a vehicle, but nothing about its inner workings! Could a moderator kindly change my title to Adventures with a Rusty Camshaft?

I will give updates as I go along; you can blame Arty for encouraging this kind of behaviour.
I think a lot of us will agree with Arty! I love rusty old metal, but somehow it has yet to find its way into any of my artwork. So we must encourage those who can work it into theirs!

I'm already intrigued. ❤️

I think a lot of us will agree with Arty! I love rusty old metal, but somehow it has yet to find its way into any of my artwork. So we must encourage those who can work it into theirs!

I'm already intrigued. ❤️
I also meant that Arty has encouraged me to post progress reports when I make things. So, I shall inflict descriptions of my travails on you when I work with the camshaft.

Thanks, re: feeling encouraged posting art progress. I do so love that.

I see the aesthetic in this object as well. Even if you did nothing with it, it's art! But I'm very curious to see what you wind up doing with it! ♥️

Thanks for your words of encouragement, everyone. I have already started something with it. Not a sculpture, but a negative imprint in a block of concrete I want to use as part of a painting. I will give information on that project in the abstract painting forum, but it is far too early to do that.

Maybe it’s a cranky camshaft? It’s an interesting shape and of course you’ll do something fabulous with it!

It will be interesting to see what you make of it. I love painting rust, so will watch with interest. :giggle:

I've been experimenting with a silicone moulding material called Mold Max 30 to make positive and negative moulds of the camshaft. Mold Max 30 is a white syrup that has a viscosity similar to honey, so can pick up fine detail. It uses a red tin catalyst that is added in the ratio of 1 part catalyst to 10 parts of the syrup by weight. Since the pot life is 45 minutes, there is enough time to pour carefully and add more if necessary. Once poured over the object, it is left for 24 hours to cure. The Shore hardness is 30A, so it is flexible enough to deal with undercuts.

The conventional procedure is to use clay to build up a barrier that protects the side of the object one does not want to coat in silicone, but it would have taken hours to carefully build up the clay. Instead, because I am lazy, I placed the camshaft in a waterproof box and poured in a warm gelatine-glycerol moulding material to the halfway mark and let it set. That acted as a beautifully clean and crisp barrier for the silicone rubber. If anyone wants the recipe for the gelatine-glycerol material, please ask and I will post it.

I intend to use these moulds for my concrete experiments.

Moulds.jpg

The mould you made is interesting and artistic on its own and it’s amazing that you were able to make it so successfully. Is the gelatin-glycerol material something that could be used to make a printing plate? I know people make them with gelatin and something.

Back