A moment of tenderness

N

Nufocus

Acrylics on paper.

71D4AF1E-3B6E-4C85-BB71-414F61FAC5B6.jpeg

I love the dark, minimal palette here. I was wondering if you know your subject beforehand or if it emerges through the process. I'm guessing the latter, and memory and imagination rule the day.

Sno, as always!!
Iain, as you could see in my comments in that other thread, the subjects emerge through the process. More often than not, I make changes and more changes and, in fact, I also go back to older pieces quite often to see what I stopped liking and make alterations there too. Thank you!

I love it. I think of a queen being adored be her partner. The palette is fantastic and your choices blow me away sometimes, like here. You are a master colorist. Great composition. The whole thing is awesome.

Trier and Joe, much obliged. Thank you.
SLG, coming to think of it, you’re right. The way he puts his hand on her chest is certainly reminiscent of The Jewish bride. Nolde? I love his work, but I’m not sure you can see it here.

I'm thinking especially of his watercolors:

5ab83fbb7a318b936ebcc110953607f5.jpg

Your palette here is certainly far more subdued or subtle than Nolde's usual saturated colors.

Wow, SLG! I’m pretty sure I’ve seen that one before. Just fantastic. I just love his work. A guy who was actually a Nazi sympathizer and that in spite of that was labeled by them a creator of “degenerate art”. A guy who painted hundreds of amazing water color pieces (like this one) in secret so that the smells of linseed oil and turpentine will not cause the Nazis to destroy his works.....

Back