A Caicature of a Caricature

Balaji

My wife was going through her artwork few days ago, sorting through loose sheets and sketch books, when she came across this sketch in one of her sketchbooks. I have no recollection of having sketched this. But I have signed and dated it and therefore I must have sketched it...over seven years ago. It is 3 .5" x 5" on ordinary note paper, and obviously a quick sketch, because seven years ago my hand was still steady. And, if I have sketched in this style, it must have been deliberately. But I have no idea how long I took over it. Nor do I remember what my reference was.

One of my friends helped me to track down the identity of my subject, and the likely reference image. The latter is a scratchboard caricature of Kurt Vonnegut by Mark Summers. And this makes my sketch a caricature of a caricature. 😁

Kurt Vonnegut.jpg

What a clever idea!. What is really think adds to the depth is the different types and direction of the marks.

I have found a few of those that I can't remember doing, but the proof is there.:) Excellent job. ❤️

Back