What art supplies have you bought recently?

Right - I don't think I've ever seen them open stock. If you're not too concerned about price, their color profile is nearly identical to Neopastels, from Caran d'Ache. Those sticks are smaller. But they are available open stock, plus they have a higher lightfast grade than do the Mungyos.
Besides color how close are? Could I replace used up Mungyo sticks with neopastels without issue?

Also Bongo that's a really good deal on canvases. someone probably screwed up placing the sign.

I adore using dip pens but I had to stop because I became too good at knocking the ink bottle over. I ruined a pair of jeans, got the floor and table more than once (luckily it wiped clean) and I had to re-paint part of my living room wall! Now I just don't trust myself.
I feel your pain. Knocking over a cup of coffee has become a daily occurrence. Sometimes twice a day.

16ga - the everyday price at Joann's is actually pretty good too.

Last edited:
Could I replace used up Mungyo sticks with neopastels without issue?
By and large, yes. Greens are very close, and so are the grays. Mungyo pinks run a bit cold (blue). There are some differences in the browns, and I prefer the Mungyo ochre to the Neopastel but that's just me. Overall I can't think you'd have any significant issues with colors clashing. :)

One by two foot unused canvas from a second-hand shop for three dollars, and from the same place, a city gallery published book gifted as a prize to an art student in 2007. Hope they're doing well and just doing a clean out.

I had decided against it but then changed my mind and got theses for $7.
20240525_132536.jpg

20240525_132909.jpg

I know they're not supposed to be light fast but this gives me a variety of colors to play with until I get around to getting a slightly better set.

As per title ...

I thought it might be fun and interesting to see what we're all buying ourselves from the art department.

I just got this ceramic palette delivered today. The wells are small but I'll be using it for putting my watercolours in straight from the tube rather than for mixing.

View attachment 14242

Anyone else want to share?
I decided a new set of pallet knives was in order. Bought a mid-range set from a local art shop. Got them to the car. Haven't seen them since. Darn. Will have to keep using my old favourites until next week.

Edit: I did buy a few angular brushes to replace some well used ones. Didn't lose them.

I bought a few "art supplies," but you'd never guess what they are for: pieces of metal mesh and pantyhose. :ROFLMAO:
I have used both in photography. The metal mesh (aka "screen") will give four "rays" to point sources of light. The pantyhose can be used as a softening filter that also adds a little tint to the photo. (Preferably after trimming them to a more realistic size.)

❗DIY - the best way to go! ❗

Back