Scavenger Hunt from Life #115: May 19 - May 27

Joan T

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the listless, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!

** * If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required!

Scavenger Hunt from Life #115: May 19 - May 27

A flower
A tree or shrub
Water related
Outdoor view
Indoor view
A snack
A vegetable
A fruit
Living creature
Taller than you
Fits in the palm of your hand
Used for relaxation
Used for cleaning
In a box
Has a cover
Natural
Man-made
Has a wheel or wheels
An entrance or exit
Soft and squishy
Hard
Crunchy
Smooth
Rough or textured
Has a zipper
A vehicle

Challenges:
Do an item as a continuous line sketch.
Do a still live using three or more items.

Have fun!

Hi Ned & Ai!!!

Up in Maine presently. Too busy all day to check the computer or sketch. I did stop for lunch with my sister but we DID NOT have lobster for lunch. This was it...delicious fried scallops.

IMG_5273.jpeg

Joan:. That clams look so yummy !!!

Today I joined my fellow sketcher in the afternoon session at our nearby province called SamutSakorn, a big fishing industry town not far from Bangkok.

#1 outdoor view... of a boatyard along Tha-jeen river, SamutSakorn province...directwatercolor.

may20_2024_h115_p1a.jpg

may20_2024_h115_p1b.jpg

Ai, oh, nice boats and dock. So colorful. I haven't found anyone to go out sketching with around here anymore. Miss that. Thanks for always sharing the photos, too. Woohoo!

I sketched on my iPad with the App, Brushes, and the Apple Pencil.
Number 1 - An entrance or exit , an old birdhouse on the ground with plenty of entrances/exits. 3 spaces/rooms on each floor, each side.

csshfl115entrance.jpg

Ai -- those colorful fishing boats are great. They are much larger than fishing vessels here.

Jo -- a bird hotel, cool!

Ned, the scallops were delicious. Today I had fried full belly clams...so good!

Ai, I love your colorful boats at the dock. They are large fishing boats. Nice that you had someone to go sketching with.

Jo, I don't know what kind of scallops they were, but they are a big item up here. It's a good thing we are only staying a few days. LOL You got the entrances and exits covered with all those holes. Three floors...maybe they need an elevator.

Today we took a ride down to Pemaquid Point to see the Pemaquid Lighthouse and the rocky coast. It is one of those spots I rarely miss seeing when I'm up here. The area was hit hard by the storms that they had this spring. The waves were powerful enough that they moved huge boulders and knocked them over so the view is now quite different. The waves came up high enough that they were nearly to the lighthouse.

1 - water related (Pemaquid Point) - watercolors

IMG_5305.jpeg

2 - taller than me (Pemaquid Lighthouse) - watercolors

IMG_5308.jpeg

Here I am with my sisters...Mickey (Michelle) on the right and Chris on the left side.

IMG_5294.jpeg

Joan -- I love fried clams too and those sound delicious. The watercolor at the lighthouse point is great -- it has a certain something that makes me want to be there -- nice light coming from the water, I think. Wonderful lighthouse and you all look like you are enjoying being there!

Ai, Jo, everyone -- hi! :)

I tried to draw some roses that my wife grew. Trying to find lavender color was "interesting". Eventually I found ultramarine+permanent rose is close, but wow, tiny differences in the amounts of blue/rose change it a lot!

#1 flower
IMG_1912rs.jpg

photo ( oops. my white balance was set wrong... they are not pink but more lavender colored... like my drawing! )
IMG_1911rs.jpg

#2 textured -- a Thai southern food dish, called KhaoYum, containing several types of minced herb and veggie toppings.... directwatercolor

#3 sub. living creature ... with a portrait of my art buddy -- oil pastel... I ended up giving her my OP sketch of her.

#4 related to water ... a Thai long-tail boat at BangLuang canal.... directwatercolor

May21_2024_KhaoYumDish.jpg

May21_2024_PookPortrait-1.jpg

May21_2024_PookPortrait-2.jpg

May21_2024_ViewOutSuriyaCoffee-1.jpg

May21_2024_ViewOutSuriyaCoffee-2.jpg

Joan, not a clam fan, I'll stick with scallops. Such a great place for you to go. We were in Rockport which is close but not as interesting I think. We did see a blue lobster there. I love the sketch of the little house. The colors are so rich and saturated. Beautiful. You do such beautiful lighthouses. Nice to see you sisters together. Does Chris sketch, too? I know Mickey does, say hi if you are still there.

Ned, your sketch is beautiful of the flowers and vase. Lavender is interesting for sure. Hard to match the second time. Beautiful roses.

Robin, your wall is beautiful with your work on it!! Wow. I love the snails but the Guy on the bottom one is very fun. Nice collage?? or weight lifter.

Ai, yummy food and in direct wc. Wow. Fun sketch of your friend, happy she liked it. Your related to water sketch is lovely. Super colors. As always, thanks for the photos.

Thanks everyone. Digi sketches take forever. Ha.
I sketched through the window in the living room sitting on a coffee table in the Canson Mix Media large sketchbook with a Micron 03 that is fading. Good for this actually as it got different sizes and strength of lines.
Number 2 with wheels, Number 3 rough texture - tree bark

csshfl115wheels.jpg

wheels.jpg

View yesterday, no shadows today, cloudy.

Ned, thanks so much. Today was fried scallop day for lunch. We've been going out to lunch every day since we left. Will have to be much more careful when I get back. Need to have a lobster roll on the way back tomorrow. :) I like the color you mixed for the roses. Nice!!

Joe, hi!

Robin, thanks. I hadn't seen my sister in Maine since last May so it is good to be together for a few days. I like your artwork on the wall. How many grandkids are you helping with?

Ai, looks like you are busy doing art. Nice to have a buddy to paint with. Love the boat. Looks like it would make a nice tour boat for all of us to come and ride in with you.

Jo, we haven't ventured further north this trip. Today we went to Boothbay Harbor today to explore and sketch. Yes, Chris sketches too, but neither of them sketches very often. They each did one sketch to my two sketches today. We were down near the water and it was foggy and colder than we expected...and I had scallops for lunch today. You found a nice outdoor still life. Good work on the wagon and the bark texture.

This was sketched quickly this morning in the bedroom I'm sleeping in at my sister's. The room was originally my nephew, Christopher's room but he is living in Japan now, so it is the guest bedroom.
3 - indoor view - ink
IMG_5314.jpeg

4 - outdoor view of the foggy harbor - watercolors and ink

IMG_5311.jpeg

5 - man-made (clothing & building) - watercolors and ink (My favorite store to shop in down in Boothbay Harbor.)

IMG_5313.jpeg

JennieJo, thanks!

Last night I sketched my sister's dog, Toby, who was stretched out on "his chair." I didn't have a sketchbook nearby and knew if I stood up he would move, so while I was sitting there I downloaded a digital program to my phone.

6 - living creature

IMG_5316.jpeg

Joan, don't know how you sketch so much when out visiting. The bedroom is so well done. So much detail without any extra lines. Doesn't look flat even without shadows. You could be a coloring book maker! The fog scene looks so foggy. Super. The Cannery does look fun. You did a fantastic job. WOW! And now into the sketching on the phone. Cute doggie. I haven't sketched on my phone for a while. Nice to always have a "sketchbook" along.

Hi, Jennie Jo!

Baseball last night and taking Gene's trike for a checkup then more baseball this afternoon. I'll see if I get in a sketch.

Toodles.....

Back