Orthodox & Lutheran Churches

moscatel

oil painter
Painted yesterday in the city centre of Helsinki. The 1st is Orthodox church, Uspenski Cathedral, and the 2nd one is white main church, Lutheran. They are oil paintings painted on paper 20x30 cm and canvas board 18x24 cm.
IMG20240504150707~2.jpg

IMG20240504145936.jpg

IMG20240504124358~2.jpg

IMG20240504124351~2.jpg

Stunning works of beautiful structures! How long did these take? Your sense of perspective is excellent. The city must be lovely.

Joy, thank you so much!
They took total of 3 hours, l switched a location little bit in between the churches, but both views being in the same area.

There was an urban sketching group hanging in the area so l joined them, although I do with oils and they draw with pencil/markers/watercolor etc.

Wow! All of this in 3 hours? That's amazing - and your work is beautiful. You really had to zoom in to do the white church and not be distracted by everything else. It's nice that you can hang out with the sketching group.

Donna, thanks! In reality the white church was closer to me, like l painted it. It's the photograph that pulls it away.

Boy, now I am even more impressed. It would take me that long to decide what to paint and choose a color palette.

Joy, your right, longer thinking time would make often certainly stronger composition and color matching also more accurate just to mention few. I was kind of cold standing there, additionally I was worried about clouds gathering and loosing sunshine that warms me and gives beautiful light to my model. There are all those factors that makes you hurry outside. Often it's not good with art.
Your point is good and makes me think how I could improve my pleinair approach. 👍

Joy, your right, longer thinking time would make often certainly stronger composition and color matching also more accurate just to mention few. I was kind of cold standing there, additionally I was worried about clouds gathering and loosing sunshine that warms me and gives beautiful light to my model. There are all those factors that makes you hurry outside. Often it's not good with art.
Your point is good and makes me think how I could improve my pleinair approach. 👍
I actually meant that as a complement! Even if I had hours longer, my results would be not as good. Your pieces are excellent just the way they are, and very fresh looking. Bravo!

Very good comments both. I took it as a compliment but I'm not so good when it comes to writing/answering. I'm thankful for your comments. Besides, I love your paintings, too 🤩 l'm always happy to see them when you post.

These are both beautiful! Plein air painting does improve your speed. You did well. The Urban Sketchers are a good group. We don't have any here. I haven't been out in ages, so doing my plein air through you. Thanks.

Jo, thanks.
I feel a bit outsider with urban sketchers group because I paint there with oils.

Back