W.I.P. - Annie

Schuee

This is Annie, an border terrier. Polychromos coloured pencils. she is going to be a surprise Christmas present.

More work to do, but this is the start. I find this kind of hair difficult to depict. I also have to decide on a background colour and will probably do a sand colour.

0EE72DEF-B48D-4D87-A5BB-BC3284E2684F.jpeg

4F699BD5-F0CA-40AA-A8D1-E34A81C0B754.jpeg

8B9AA3EC-12B2-4F94-87B0-661BB9E5981C.jpeg

Annie is such a gorgeous subject! And what a thoughtful gift. It looks great so far. 🙂

Thanks a lot, Kay. She is silver coloured in one photo and the more normal colour for a border in another, so I am having to mix and mash!

Beautiful dog - what a wonderful gift this is going to be. Can't wait to see more! :)

Looks like you're handling this fur beautifully! What a wonderful gift this will be.

Following this wonderful piece! You are really the expert on dog eyes and noses! I think a muted BG will set her off well. With all of the hair/fur rendered so well, one would not want anything too busy.

Thanks very much, Joy. I decided on one background and then decided to make it lighter and wish I’d chosen something else.

It’s very difficult to depict her coat. In one photo she is silver coloured and in the other the normal border terrier colour so I’ve done her in between. Each time I look at it I want to change something.
I’m not completely happy with it and I’ve sent it to the commissioner to see what she thinks, saying I’m happy to try again.

With what are you displeased? Beautiful hair and the BG complements her perfectly!

I’m really pleased you like her. I don’t feel that I’ve caught a good likeness, but that might just be me. I’m relieved you don’t think it is rubbish! Thank you. I’ll set it aside for a few days and then view it again.

This is definitely not rubbish, Penny! I think the likeness is very good and am amazed that you can work from a photo at all when the lighting seems kind of flat. I wonder if the background isn't enhancing the brown colors of the fur and wonder what would happen if you reinforced the silvers and grays?

Thanks very much, Donna. Yes, the background isn’t throwing any light on the fur. It was a bad choice of colour on my part. I’ve tried lightening it but the surface is saturated. I will try again, though.
it’s also getting so that I cant layer any more white on the dog without it becoming muddy. I could try removing colour on the backgroundwith putty rubber but could end up really messing it up.

I agree with everyone, it is very beautiful and similar, and stands out, it comes out of the screen. It is very three-dimensional already from the second photo
, everything is well done, nice work

Thank you very much, joe1lt. It is reassuring to have your thoughts. I will finish with it now and see what is thought of it when I hand it over.

Back