Tyrannosaurus Rex ~ paper sculpture

RWSewell

When I posted the tail of this beastie in the 'What are you working on?' thread, I only half-believed I would see this finished. I figured the amount of detail would prove too daunting. Thanks to a Halloween-themed exhibition looking for submissions, I felt my sculpture would fit in nicely. Thus motivated, I finished before deadline and can now share this with you. :)

Tyrannosaurus Rex
28" x 22" x 1" mixed media paper sculpture
Bristol vellum card stock, quilting fabric for the background

T-Rex Final 2.JPG

Here's a closeup of the head:

T-Rex Banner.JPG

Thanks for checking this sculpture out. I'll be posting WIP photos detailing the construction.

:) Rob

Rob, your work is outstanding. Please follow up soon and post your promised work in progress photos, so that I can steal some of your ideas.

Truth be told, I enjoy making the understructure of my paper sculptures just as much, if not more, than the top layer. Feathers are colorful and fun, fur can be...extremely monotonous. But the understructure (or armature) is where I make decisions regarding depth and three-dimensionality. This is where I turn an idea or flat reference into something with form. Different paper sculptors have their own methods and I'll be the first to say that I probably spend too much time on the armature. Do I really need all those paper tabs to create contour? Probably not. Not something you see on final viewing. Not a necessary step, but one I enjoy.

I took a few extra moments to record Work in Progress images as I built the armature for the T-Rex's head. Even after doing this kind of work for years, each subject brings its own problems to resolve. This is part of my love for paper sculpture.

Tyrannosaurus Rex Head Armature

T-Rex WIP 1.JPG

The sketch was based on a plethora of cinematic references, from Peter Jackson's vision of Skull Island dinosaurs in his film King Kong to the work of animator Ray Harryhausen (whose own visual ques were influenced by the painter Charles Knight). The template at right shows the multiple tiers of foam core pieces that will give the head its depth, based on the initial sketch.

T-Rex WIP 3.JPG

The multiple pieces of foam core that will form the head. I realized right off that the interior of the mouth (including tongue) would have to be finished before I could begin assembly.

T-Rex WIP 4.JPG

Again, small details had to be embossed as the layers were assembled. And yes, I do find it helpful to number the pieces to keep them in order. I get distracted by squirrels very easily. :)

T-Rex WIP 5.JPG

So, here's where I start adding tabs of paper to created rounded contours. This picture shows the outside contour, but I also do ALL of the contours, the tendons of the throat and similar details. Time consuming but I still love doing it.

T-Rex WIP 6.JPG

The finished armature. The "skin" is then glued in sections (and also in predetermined order to reduce the number of visible seams). Some changes were made to the armature (particularly with the eye) that I didn't record, for the most part minor.

I hope I didn't make this painfully drawn-out in my explanation. This is the nitty-gritty that people don't see when my sculpture is hanging on a wall or posted in a gallery forum. Thank you for letting me share this inside view.

:) Rob

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing your process, Rob. That's really interesting to see how much hidden work is involved.

Thank you for the comprehensive description, Rob; this is the kind of post I really enjoy. While reading it, I felt many pangs of recognition, since the planning process you describe is so much like my own, notwithstanding the very different media we work in. In my case, concrete and a heavy reliance on 3D software in the design stages. Like you, I absolutely love the technical and engineering components of the planning stages. :D

This is very interesting ! Thank you for posting it.
Cheers,
Patricia

This is amazing work - beautiful results! I had no idea how technically intricate the build-up is. Wow!

It's gorgeous! I'm so happy you finished it in time for this exhibit.

Amazing job Rob! Thanks for sharing your process. Mind boggling that you can do this with paper. ❤️❤️

Back