try coloring digitally

joe1It

I tried to color this face.
I am trying to reuse digital sometimes, undecided if I should start with digital directly in digital, or with a drawing done on paper, in the last 2 years I think, I think I should try on paper, and only after trying with digital, yesterday I tried again , doing this, I believe a 2 hours or more. I'm trying to understand, learn, so maybe some things I do several times.

I also put the initial photo, of the drawings, sketches that I have done in the last few months, this one here seemed to me the most suitable to try.

1643804716918.png

Volti da solo primo passo colorat.jpg

Hermes, thank you very much, glad you like them,
thank you very much for pointing out Larry Rivers, it's nice to discover new artists for me, I'm selling something now, his works are wonderful.
in the weeks, in the previous months I had done some tests to understand first how to color the backgrounds, when there is already a drawing, trying with tutorials that in the past I had not succeeded.

before this i had done another one, i was trying to choose a color, face i had not continued, i had saved these 2 background colors,
I was trying to figure out what background color I could possibly use, blue maybe the ones I liked best, the blue type, or above all this one that I tried to continue in the photo, or light blue, or something not too bright, clear, or gray, I thought I was using something like that.
to try a little, to ask what colors do you think would be good for backgrounds for attempts with faces, people.

Attachments

• sheldon rosso.jpg
    sheldon rosso.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 112
  • sheldon sfond chiar.jpg
    sheldon sfond chiar.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 111
That's why I am so committed to making my PC and my software work hard for me. It enables me to try colour combinations and shapes that are sometimes counterintuitive. The choice of colour will depend on your mood at the time, so there is no one good colour for faces and people. Warhol's method of presenting various combinations tiled together in one work may be something to try.

Nice work, Joe!
I would like to build from a physical drawing in a similar way, but I have yet to try it. The mouse and the keypad are the only input devices on my computer, which makes for a clumsy way of going about it.

Going digital almost requires a tablet with a pen, such as a Wacom or a Bamboo. Keep experimenting Joe, we’re enjoying the ride.❣️

Hermes, thank you very much for the clarifications and suggestions, and reflections, yes, that's right, try various colors at the moment, from time to time, try to figure out what fits best, it seems right,
the way, as I tried to put color, at first it was more cumbersome, it took a long time, but in reality I can see more quickly, like last 2 photos, and only later, when I have clearer ideas, then try more slowly, try to be more precise, continue.
nice suggestion on Warhol, thank you very much.

Laika, thank you very much, yes you are right, with a mouse and keyboard it is more uncomfortable, I think it is worthwhile, possibly on the tablets,
I had, when I bought it, I did not have clear ideas about the price and the various models, so for my needs, and space, perhaps to practice, I did not make the best choice, quality price,
impression and that tablet without a screen (with a screen I have never used it, prices go up even if I have seen in recent years that there are much cheaper brands and models, it seems that even with a screen now the prices are very varied), is ok, from 50 to 100 €, I believe that currently the most important differences with more expensive models are above all on the size of the screen and the presence of the keys.

Snoball, thank you very much, yes, you're right, I have wacom tablet, m, which I took about 6 years ago, but then, for some reasons, for about 4 years I had kept it in a drawer ..,
, now, it came out of the drawer .., it is no longer in detention .., no, I'm trying to reuse it more often, try to learn, at least a little bit. I think it's stimulating.
thank you

yesterday, I tried again, then yesterday, I didn't draw on paper, but I tried again to take a drawing I had done days ago,
a drawing that I had tried to make, an attempt to copy, to study from a drawing by Sargent.
I did 2 tests, the first colored, the second, tried to color the sheet and to tread the lines. I tried to do this, and before I tried to redo practice with lines, drawn circles, 5 years ago I tried above all to practice with lines, circles.
in the second, I tried to follow nice tutorial I was reading, the beginning, the first step, I believe that I will try to continue this or other attempts, thank you very much

Testa da disegno.jpg
PROVA PAI.jpg
ingrigito 3.jpg

Attachments

• 2022-01-22 02-45_pagina_1.jpg
    2022-01-22 02-45_pagina_1.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 99
the page below, and that initial, I had tried the same face several times, I had looked at his pencil drawings, and I had found these 2, the other drawings I have seen of Sargent, they are all wonderful, but I think in charcoal, so I find them difficult to practice drawing, so I was looking for pencil drawings, I used the last one on the left,

I like the effects you are getting, Joe. The colours and the look remind me of Larry Rivers.

I was thinking R.B. Kitaj. :)

Ayin, thank you very much, happy that, you think this, yes, learning wacom, it takes time and patience, sometimes, maybe I wish I could do things that are complicated, without having understood, known or being able to make them simpler.

thanks stlukesguild, Hermes, one of the things I like a lot about art forums and that I can admire works by site users, discover new artists for me, users by browsing the site or reading, receiving information on artists to search for or cited.

Yes, one of the merits of online forums is that they are made up of like-minded individuals... or individuals with common passions for art, music, literature, comic books, or whatever. Everyone has their own experiences amd body of knowledge that are frequently shared in online discussions. I wouldn't be the least bit interested in online forums if everyone had the same likes and dislikes... the same knowledge of artists or writers (etc...) as me. Personally, I mourn the collapse of many online forums and the rise of social media where discussion rarely goes beyond what one had for dinner. The literature forum that I was active in for years was amazing at its peak. The same was true of WetCanvas some 10 years ago or more. I would check the site and make a post on an intriguing discussion before heading of to work. When I returned some 10 hours later I might find 5, 7, 11 pages of new comments! Pages, not posts! I am thrilled to see Creative Spark heading in what I see as the right direction and growing.

I'm just getting started in digital art, so I really can't advise. But I doubt whether there is a right or wrong choice about whether to start with a physical sketch or a digital one. It's probably just personal preference.
I bought a tablet just over a month ago: Ugee m708. It cost 50 USD. No screen. It took a week or two to be able to draw well on it.
Digital is great for experiments. I'm experimenting with adding color to a grayscale image with the tool Gradient Mapping. I like that way of adding color! But I have to watch YouTube videos about it. I can't seem to operate the gradient map without instruction.

Ayin, yes, right.

Stlukesguild,
I agree with the forums, they are my favorite thing, in some cases art forums I discovered them late or I postponed registration for a year, on a forum because I was ashamed to move my things or questions, but I surfed there looking for similar topics, similar questions but maybe less stupid how I would have posed them. .

forum I like that interactions are more personal, users feel them as friends, familiar people, it's like getting to know people, even just admiring works, since they are accompanied by posts or other messages, path, sometimes it's easier to grasp them plus some messages, appreciate the art you see,, I love forums that allow you to learn, know things. reflect. I think it is a restaurant with a thousand courses, or a very rich museum, with many rooms.
social networks seem more like fast food, there is less interaction and there is no possibility to learn,
sorry that in the last 10 years, they have perhaps swallowed up the forums, that is, I think they are different things that could have coexisted more. that is, the trend and that there has not been much coexistence, in recent years, the fate of
http://www.conceptart.org/forums (which was also changed I think, regarding learning sections,), WC
made me think about this, and I was so sorry to have discovered them only about 4 or 5 years ago., always then I had discovered an Italian one, similar in a small way, but very nice, but discovered 5 or 6 years ago, when it was already closed recently.
surely I'm wrong, yes, I'm wrong, but I'm afraid that the learning side .., and the fact that forums were thought of as completely free, that is, I think, maybe for the mentioned forums it was unfortunate that they also offered so much for information or learning, that is, as if they were considered a nuisance and not a resource to be preserved, thousands of online offers were born, even universities, things for every price, but nothing, perhaps, is worth 1/100 of what those forums gave thanks to talent and generosity of users who have been there over the years.

yes, luckily there is creativespark.

Cindy, very beautiful your works, from the results, I did not think it was a new medium for you, thank you very much for your impressions and feelings, yes, I for almost everything, I resort to video, or I look for various words, commands, steps

Joe, I like that too: the restaurant with a thousand courses.

Also, please write out "Wet Canvas" instead of abbreviating it to "WC." Thank you. We've been over this in the rules.

social networks seem more like fast food, there is less interaction and there is no possibility to learn,
sorry that in the last 10 years, they have perhaps swallowed up the forums, that is, I think they are different things that could have coexisted more. that is, the trend and that there has not been much coexistence...

And I see a negative impact. The forums often involved posts that were small and often well-thought-out essays. Social media relies more on short posts... a few sentences... a "Tweet"... or an image or 15-second video with little or no comment. I have seen how it has impacted my students' attention spans and the ability to read and write. I question whether our current political realities might have been quite different if we had a populace able to comprehend more complex statements and arguments and not so seduced by a catchphrase and an image. I can see how social media can be so seductive, but IMO it offers so little nourishment. If I peruse my Twitter feed I will find posts on paintings, books, music, etc... but next to nothing is said about them. It's all "Here's what I'm reading. Here's what I'm listening to. Here's what I had for dinner last night." Initially that might be of interest. We have such posts here. But it would be of so much more interest if someone posted "Here is what I'm reading" "Here is what I'm listening to" or "Here is a painting I quite like" and then proceeded to offer some thoughts about the work... some reasons as to why you like these and why I might like them as well.

Instagram.jpg

I came on this image the other day I could help laughing... because it is so true. A travel "influencer" had a couple hundred thousand followers because of the hot girl in a bikini or lingerie posted before views of Paris, Venice, the Grand Canyon, etc... An artist "influencer" has 3 million followers because the artist is a hot girl posed suggestively before some mediocre paintings.

Back