Tim's Vermeer

I saw the documentary ,I could not see the final part, however here narrates what it showed. yes Peter and Teller were present.

Some years ago, Hockney filmed a video proving that Vermeer used a camera obscura.
Yes, and Hockney is featured in this documentary. Also, "Professor Philip Steadman (seen in the film) caused a sensation in the art world in 2001 when he published his book Vermeer's Camera."

I'd like to see the documentary to see how the comparator differs from the camera obscura.

it seems to me that
now I don't even remember exactly anymore, but he used like a reflected mirror, like in the photo where you can see the first test he does from a face in a photo,
therefore, he had placed side by side, almost united the photo and the painting that he made and therefore decided to stop when they really matched, you couldn't distinguish them.

while I was watching the documentary I was wondering if it was like this, if Caravaggio had also used a system similar to this, camerascura, other, if they would have mentioned him, they name him at a certain point in Caravaggio and also with 2 or 3 other artists, now I don't remember the others. Caravaggio because that's why I started seeing paintings and wanting to learn how to draw and because in his paintings there don't seem to be any sisigns, preparatory steps
Caravaggio, it seems to me that I have never read any drawings by him, and somewhere else they said that he used a sort of darkroom. .

yes, the author of book Vermeer's Camera is in the documentary, I didn't know the book. Maybe I had read some controversies.
which artists do you believe had a similar way of painting, I remember Canaletto as one of the first who used an ancestor of the camera. Canaletto's paintings are very beautiful.

Back