The People in my Trees

laika

Loitering Member
I was idly thinking about ways to stylize/simplify trees, rocks, and whatnot when I discovered what I consider human-like figures. I did intentionally outline everything, but the figures were spontaneous entities of their own. Maybe not Wayne-level unintended figures, but it kinda blew my mind once I saw them. Water-soluble graphite on sketchbook paper.

02.jpg

That's cool, Lamar! Isn't it great when visitors show up in your work? I think your trees make good shelter for them. Will you turn this into a painting?

Thanks, Donna and Wayne!
Isn't it great when visitors show up in your work? I think your trees make good shelter for them. Will you turn this into a painting?
I love it when something like this happens! To be clear, I was using a water brush with the graphite, and then I outlined what appeared in the shading. And it does look like a shelter, doesn't it? I've been at a loss for something to paint, so maybe I will riff off of this. Good idea, Donna!

I really love this style Lamar!
Thanks so much, Arty!
I sometimes try to hit on a simple cartoon-y suggestive style in my sketchbook. This sketch includes my attempt at Chinese ink art-style rocks in the lightly shaded foremost rocks.

I have a few different types of sketchbooks and they are all for different styles and purposes. I like what you're doing in this one.

Neat! You hardly notice the people until you look for them.❤️❤️

OK, call me crazy, but I've found another spontaneous person. She's much taller than the others, but dressed similarly, and also holding something in her arms. I would have been happy adding these figures, but that's not what I was doing.
tp02.jpg

And do you also see the dinosaur type monster lurking behind the rocks? :) It could be I watch too many Godzilla movies with my grandson. But it might also be that I often see living shapes where none were intended. Fun and interesting how that happens.

I first saw someone face down in the ground, on the left. Then I noticed the other people!

This is a wonderful drawing, with lots to study. Very cool, Lamar!

Back