Teaching Series

Artyczar

I wasn't sure whether to post this in this forum, or the Business Forum. I'd been thinking about starting a kind of teaching series (if you can call it that) on my blog for a long time. It's based around the business of being a fine artist, but also gives (my) advice on navigating the ups and downs of what that all means in terms of keeping up a studio practice too. It's actually something I've lectured on at a couple of universities, believe it or not. I just haven't done anything like that in a long time because I hate public speaking.

Writing these things down for people to read has been something I've wanted to do for a while--sharing my experience, what I've learned, etc. in hopes that it could possibly help other artists in some way, or at least encourage them with the philosophy that: if I can do it, then so can you.

There is a discussion in the Business Forum where Bartc and I touched on some of the things I address in the post where I talk about values. This is the one I posted this morning to get things going.

The first, or pre-beginning of the series starts here. All the posts before that are just part of my everyday journal, which having nothing to do with teaching anyone anything, so you can ignore all that. My blog is pretty candid in general, which I don't mind, as it is public, but don't bother reading it unless you're into that sort of thing (my thoughts and insecurities and whatnot :ROFLMAO: ).

Anyway, hope this might be of some value if you're interested.

Interesting read. I am not overly into applying anything as I am not on the path of pursuit. I just like to paint. However, your honesty is appealing and that makes it a good read.

Good read. I look forward to it. What matters indeed. Can that question even be answered. I keep seeing things about the "Subtle art of not giving a fuck." so I don't even know if I should care let alone what to care about. :)

Thank you for doing this, Ayin! While there are several members here who are self taught and have found their own way, I would bet that most of us here just do our artwork because we enjoy it, and pretty much just watch it pile up.

I'll be interested in anything you have to say as a teaching series. Looking forward to it! ❤️

Well, people can take it or leave it. I have a few other reader of the blog that might find some of it useful. ;) ...or not. Just trying to be encouraging for those that want to do the same things I've tried.

For me, the works and the words of creative artists are always source of inspiration, thinking and creativity. So Ayin I'm really excited and interested as I'm 'into that sort of thing' ... ;) ;) 👏

Since, as you said, it is public, I think it will be great to have it out there. You never know who will read and benefit from it. ❤️

On the blog. Just posted a new one today. esart.com/blog (On a Mission). I'll try to write something every couple/few days or so. For a while at least. I'm trying to make some semblance of a chronological order. o_O

I've said before that I find you to be a very disciplined artist. Your blogs are well written and thought provoking, at least to me. Happy you're doing this!

Got it.. Interesting that you make a statement of it. I do recall going through the thoughts but more mental notes that posties. Totally agree that you need to know why, for whom, and what you think you can get from it. Maybe I should say, what you desire to get from it.
For myself, I like to think if it doesn't help me this time it might come of use in a later life in a different time and maybe a different place. No knows so you may well think of the story having a happy ending.

Thank you very much Terri. That is a huge compliment. ♥️

A thank you too Wayne. I hope for a happy ending for us all. :) ♥️

Great! Keep writing, Ayin.

BTW, in grad school a weaver friend of mine had traded a very valuable weaving to a woodworker for a custom made loom. Promise after promise for years he never delivered. Finally in exasperation she cajoled him saying that his loom would be featured in her next show. At nearly the last minute it arrived and we watched as she set up the loom with the show (which I was photographing for her.) Across the front piece in this gorgeous walnut piece written in old Germanic script was, "Here's your fucking loom!"

What matters indeed....

Ha ha ha!!!! That is so funny Bart! :ROFLMAO: OMG! Love that.

Today I wrote two more articles. I am now calling it a "learning series," not a teaching series. Something about the latter seems conceited.

Anyway, I have a few more to write and they are all scheduled to post twice a week. There are like fifteen in all I think. They each cover different topics and I think they do get better as they progress.

The last one was about fear and goals and the next one will be more about goals, specifically about a thing called SMART goals. Then, in a nutshell, I'm going to cover the following topics (only the Creative Spark members get to know ahead of time!):
  • Demystifying Beliefs
  • Building a Studio Practice
  • Creating a Body of Work
  • Documenting and Keeping Track of Art
  • Pricing Art
  • Writing Artist Statements
  • Websites/Social Media
  • Building a CV and Researching Opportunities
  • Tapping into Creativity

I'm now working on the last article (Creativity), and there are fourteen in all, not fifteen. I'm releasing them twice a week and would really love any feedback.

I see people (artists) on Instagram that advertise coaching courses on the same kinds of topics all the time. They charge money and the workshops are just a few days. I have always found this interesting. I would love to organize this thing into an online workshop, but I'm just no good with being on camera. I also can't imagine charging money for it, even though some of these artists with much less experience are charging a lot of money. It's a little strange to me but I suppose one needs to make a living.

In any case, I just want to help however I can, so if you or anyone you know if getting anything from it, please let me know. If you have any other feedback, I'm also all ears.

Next article will post on Monday.

♥️

Back