Sunset on snow

Grizabella

Was Ellen E. on Wet Canvas
I've been painting my Christmas cards as I've posted here before. There's an artist whose paintings I always admire and think to myself that I'll just never, never be that good so I've never tried any of his instructional type videos----till tonight. Now I think maybe there's actually hope for me yet. You all may not think so, but I've come a long way since I started in 2017, when I thought there was no way I was ever going to "get it".

The artist is called Javid Tabatabei and he's just amazing. I still know I'll never equal his accomplishments but here's a photo of my attempt. I've been painting all day and I know this brave stab at a painting something like what I watched him do isn't really that great, since I'm tired and just quickly tried to follow the idea of his painting but I wonder what everyone else thinks. You can be honest----I won't get my feelings hurt.

Attachments

• 20221222_223813.jpg
    20221222_223813.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 74
that is a tough subject. One thought. With all that color in the sky and water, it should be in the snow. Not as intense but the snow would reflect it. Your gradations are nice. Would make a nice card. Stay with it.

That will make a lovely holiday card, and it's a very tranquil scene. I agree with Wayne that that's a tough subject, the sky is so bright and warm and the snow is cold and bare - a difficult balance! I like your purples in the shadows. The reflection in the water is beautiful! I'm guessing the tutorial didn't offer anything about adding yellow reflections in the snow, only the water, which you did very well. Overall, the scene is a contrast between the warm sky colors and the cold snow colors. You did great!

What a beauty this is! I think it's fantastic and hope you're proud of it. Maybe the fact that you were tired was a good thing; you didn't worry about being fussy and just made it happen!

Wayne and Terri, you're right that there should be some yellow reflection in the snow. Thank you for pointing that out. I was having trouble keeping up with the artist and painting at the same time. :)

Terri, the purple in the snow shadows is a Rosa Gallery color called Ultramarine Violet. I was working so fast that I didn't want to mix up a purple color myself so I used that.

Donna, I think you're absolutely right that it turned out well because I wasn't trying for perfection, I was just quickly trying to follow along with the artist before going to sleep. I was surprised it turned out well. I fully expected a big mess. LOL I'm proud of it but also happy with what I learned about not getting precious about it.

The clouds in the sky were one of those lucky accidents. They came out looking like piled up puffy clouds but that was an accident. They're actually cauliflowers or whatever it's called. One of the things I've fallen in love with about watercolor is those serendipitous mistakes that turn out to be nice.

I'm off to find more Javid Tabatabaei videos. Maybe I can do better following along and get the rest of my cards done. Like always, I procrastinated so now I'm having to hurry up.

Thank you so much, everyone!

I looked up your artist inspiration and he is double awesome so allow yourself mistakes as you learn. Accidents are a big part of painting. Realizing it is good and keeping it is a big plus on your part. Best of luck with your next encounter.

I looked up your artist inspiration and he is double awesome so allow yourself mistakes as you learn. Accidents are a big part of painting. Realizing it is good and keeping it is a big plus on your part. Best of luck with your next encounter

He must have been born with a paintbrush and palette in his wee baby hands. He seems to know exactly what every stroke of his brush will be even in the background of his paintings. Even when I think he's done he keeps adding more touches here and there that make the work even more perfect and awesome.

My son gave me an Amazon gift card for my birthday last month and then another one for Christmas so I stocked up on paper and got some new travel brushes. I'm all set to concentrate on painting in the coming year. Maybe by this time next year I'll have done all my Christmas cards a little closer to Tabatabeai style. :D

I really like it and because it's art I don't think it matters that the realism part is not all there. I think it's lovely as it is. :)

Somehow I missed seeing this post. It is a fantastic winter landscape for sure. Not easy task to watch a video and do a paint along and I think you did super! You will learn with each one.

A very lovely card and you've got plenty of time to paint more before Christmas. ;)❤️

Back