Sunrise WIP

MurrayG

Contributing Member
Hi folks. It's been a while, mostly recovering energy after a bout of Covid. This is my first chalk to paper for weeks. Sunrise, from a photo i took recently. 50x70cm on watercolour paper with an underpainting.
Mostly Rembrandts. I cannot say I'm especially happy with it, but hey. its a WIP and is nice to paint again. The paper wasn't too forgiving, i didn't prime it and even tho it's hot press it still had texture that i battled with. The photo colours are not quite true and I'm still fiddling.
Regards all.
IMG_0407.jpg

It shows great promise. Very peaceful and serene. Glad you are recovering. From experience that bug is nasty.

Thanks Wayne and Caliann. I'm in danger of overworking it but can't be helped. The paper doesn't help but, it good to draw again.
Yes, got it after 5 jabs as well, we were on holiday... Ha!

I think it's a lovely pastel! Very soft and pretty. I like it as shown, but you're saying the colors aren't true in your photo so I'll be interested in seeing if you re-work it a bit more. Glad you're feeling better, and back here with us! Happy New Year. :)

I get the peaceful and serene feelings from this as well, Murray, and think those delicate colors are very well done. It's a challenge trying to light clouds from their undersides and your clouds glow with that effect! Keep feeling better!

Thanks Bart and Snow. Appreciated. It's finished and i will post a photo. It's being framed ready to go to it's new owner.

Thanks Bart. Looking towards Biokovo over the church at Pisak. The last few mornings have had stunning sunrises.

Three things I noted artistically on my trip to Croatia a dozen years or so ago: reverse glass painting, copper enamel painting, naif painting. The copper enamel I only found with one or two street sellers and brought a nice one home. The other two were more like national forms/treasures in the few museums I found, mostly in Zagreb. I didn't find any truly local pottery, though I looked for it high and low.

You'll hate me for saying this, but I found Croatia coming out of the Communist era as pretty bland both artistically and otherwise; I'm told it has "colored" up a lot since those days. But the landscapes were spectacular, and though the coastal Venetian cities were too white for my taste and all so similar, all the historical artifacts and sites advertised were certainly there to explore. And the sea was gorgeous with all those lovely islands. Plitvice was magnificent. Rovinj was my highlight, to be honest that's because it was more colorfully Italian, not to mention the spectacular setting. You're living there, it seems, so please don't take my impressions personally. They came with a disappointing trip there after waiting almost 40 years to make it! No accounting for taste, right?

One of the skills of being an artist is to find and/or make something visually interesting out of otherwise less inspiring material. I did that in Croatia, and I would not discourage others from trying the same. You have certainly done it well.

Back