Sun Blessed

MurrayG

Contributing Member
Hi Folks, this is at long last, the second iteration of a farm in the sun (from a photo I took near Canberra, Australia).
I think I have improved the painting (I hope anyway). There may be a few small "fiddles", but I think I'm done. There is a tree in the right midground without a shaow that has ben corrected. The light was fading too much to repeat the photo. The phone is still mangling colours, but its reasonably close, the actual is a bit brighter, the yellows and light greens pop more. The "mask" is only a temporary thing I use to focus my gaze when finishing up. Its 30x42 cm on Canson MT smooth side, using Rembrandts and some Senneliers, no under painting. Hope it meets "muster" as its on its way to Aussie shortly....
Keep ell all...

IMG-151110-Paddy2B.jpg

Last edited:
You have definitely improved this painting, Murray! It's a beautiful scene with a great sense of distance. I like what you did to the grasses!

You have definitely improved this painting, Murray! It's a beautiful scene with a great sense of distance. I like what you did to the grasses!
Thanks Donna. It feels better and I managed to stop fiddling earlier, so less overworked :)

I definitely remember this one, and all your extra work has paid off. I liked the first one, but this is clearer, crisper, with beautiful sense of depth and tone. A gorgeous painting I would love to see in person.

Great job! I hope you feel good about your efforts. ❤

I definitely remember this one, and all your extra work has paid off. I liked the first one, but this is clearer, crisper, with beautiful sense of depth and tone. A gorgeous painting I would love to see in person.

Great job! I hope you feel good about your efforts. ❤
Hi Terri, Wow, thanks so much for that encouragement! Yes, I feel like it is much improved. I know there are passages that I struggled with and areas I can now see that could be improved (I am my own hardest critic), however, However, I feel like I can send this one away with a fairly clear conscience. I am slowly working out how to handle the colours of certain brands of pastels. I can see that I am going to have to cull a number as they don't "suite" me. Slowly getting there :)
Thank you for the great compliment of wanting to see it in person - I hope my sons family enjoy it as it heads off to Australia this week.

(I am my own hardest critic)
Aren't we all? ;) You'll always see the little things you struggled with whenever you see the painting, that no one else can know. Nature of the beast!

I hear ya on getting certain brands sorted out. Prussian blue, as an example, is never quite the same between manufacturers and we all eventually find our own favorite. I work with oil pastels and have cobbled together my own stash of various hues and softness levels. Without trying them, you won't be able to get there, and it's definitely a learning curve. I work with three main ones but keep a couple others close at hand. :)

I hear ya on getting certain brands sorted out. ..... Without trying them, you won't be able to get there, and it's definitely a learning curve. I work with three main ones but keep a couple others close at hand. :)
I started with Faber Castell set of 12, progressed to Rembrandt 80 halves, and now have a hoard of individual Rembrandts to fill gaps. Now a Sennelier 80 set..... and still keep a FC set of 72 for travelling etc.
But I am staggered by the variation even in a brand. As Bart said, its a mystery. I like a soft medium soft pastel and do find that Rems can vary across a set and then even between set and individuals. The Sennelier are reasonably consistent but some are really crumbly!!. I do find that there are colours and hardnesses that work on one painting but not on another - just to add to the confusion and am juuussssttt geting a handle os some of that. After working out a colour swatch on all my pastels, I worked out some variabilities.
I "almost" have a set of greens that work for me, at least for Aussie colours... as long as I blend in some "orange, brown or golds..".
EU coloyrs I am still working out as the seasons pley hell with my colour sense :)
Some of the "success" of this painting was due to the fact that I preselected a much more defined colour range and used them hard to soft that and a lot of "walking away".
Ahh so many variables and so little time..... BUT - the difference between a good photo and a mesmerizing painting is that interpretive difference.

Back