Still Life from Life

P. Barrie

Watercolor, 12”x 9”, on 140# Arches. Done today from life in window light at my usual studio space. Got a little fussy with it.
Limited palette of DS-Neutral tint, Burnt Umber. WN-Primary Blue, Aureolin, and Primary yellow. Sakura-Chrome yellow, Ivory Black. White gouache.
2A592F1B-E280-4A38-AA99-5A477681DD39.jpeg

Last edited:
It turned out really well, Patrick. I admire the various tones in the metal pot and think they must have been quite a challenge, especially in watercolor!

Thanks Donna. Some watercolorists can get an amazing range of value and color. Ever see any of Steve Hanks work? amazing work.
there are better web sites of his work that have higher resolution.
i love Rob Adams too.

Last edited:
A superb still life with excellent reflections, too, Patrick! Long been an admirer of Hanks.

Kay, Jo,
thanks!
I got a little frustrated with this one due to trying to make the WCs behave like oils (brushwork). Also, in planning for the lightening of values after drying.

Excellent work, as usual! The reflections are so good, and there just the right amount of looseness here.

Sno, Ayin, thanks.
it looks better from a distance. I wanted to scale down the uploaded image but couldn’t grab the blue grips to size it down?

Wow, this is amazing. I have love and hate relationship with watercolors and am amazed at how you didn't get any cauliflower effect with it. I struggle with it! 😬 Great job!

Back