Some shots of Long Island, NY

Rich53

Long Island, just east of NYC, is being encroached upon by the city. There are still a few places where you can forget that madness.

An old windmill on the eastern end of the island, looking up through the spokes of the wheel used to turn the vanes:

123-16a (Sm) UHH.jpg

Then some from a friend's house in Amityville.
B-04-09a (Sm).jpg

The house itself is a Victorian-era home with wrap-around porches.
B-04-17b (Sm).jpg

B-06-13a (Sm).jpg

DW and I moved off the Island just before Hurricane Sandy hit. The house, having been built back when people were less confident about what the weather would do, was built with the basement at ground level; so the only problem was that the oil burner floated up, but came back into its place.

Enjoy!
--Rich

Nice! I like the wheel spokes and the little lean-to in the second one. Looks like a beautiful place!

Nice! I like the wheel spokes and the little lean-to in the second one. Looks like a beautiful place!
Yes, Amityville used to be quite a hot spot. It was a day's car ride from Manhattan. Several hotels, a trolley running from the train station to the hotels near the beach, and such luminaries as Will Rogers, Fred Stone, and Annie Oakley! Now it's just a collection of old, well kept homes, drowsing in their memories.

--Rich

I like the composition of all four. B&W dove tails nicely with the antique subjects. I like feeling that I am being teleported to another time through these artifacts. The industrial theme, boarding on primitive, lends itself to a plethora of angles bur only a few truly capture the mood and/or story that the artifact is sharing. Needless to say you have done just that.

I like the composition of all four. B&W dove tails nicely with the antique subjects. I like feeling that I am being teleported to another time through these artifacts. The industrial theme, boarding on primitive, lends itself to a plethora of angles bur only a few truly capture the mood and/or story that the artifact is sharing. Needless to say you have done just that.
Thank you! The old equipment is nice to look at, then you remember that it was mostly muscle-power! <Ouch!> Then again, they'd laugh themselves sick at the thought of going to a gym for exercise...

--Rich

Back