Small plastic watercolor set

Flowercat

I found these cool small plastic packaging boxes , that my mohter wanted to throw out.
And today i made something out of one.
It took quite a while getting the label off, but it was worth it.
Just put in some metallic watercolor half pans, just to try the size out.
To secure the paints, i cut a pice of cardbord to size and used cheap douple side tissue tape to stick the watercolor pans to it.
Its the perfect size for travel. A 2 € for size refrence.
I might turn the second one in watercolor palette aswell.

Any critics and questions are always welcome
_20220822_155726.JPG
_20220822_155714.JPG
_20220822_154317.JPG

Nice! I remember someone on another site making pocket-portable watercolor kits using Altoids boxes and fluorescent-light grids. With your method, however, you need not worry about your box rusting! 👌

I have a soft spot in my heart for DIM (Do It Myself) pocketable kits. 😊 So much fun to make!

Perhaps you could put a thin sheet of white plastic in the lid to act as a palette?

Again, well done!

--Rich

Nice! Nice to have free (or close to free, workarounds.
I use a 12 hole eye color case from the dollar store for a pocket size portable oil paint holder. One hole contain a bit of paper towel and clove oil. When not in use, it is in a zip sandwich bag in the freezer.
I was given tube paints a while back, so I may use one for watercolor, too.

Putting something to good use after it was on the "throw it away" list is always a happy occasion - good on you, Flowercat! ❤️ A clever idea, and it will actually last a very long time and should serve you well.

Clever and useful!

I like the divided plastic small boxes that you can get with nails, hangers, tiny wire in to use with hanging paintings and framing.

I was just going through some stuff I've accumulated and I came across a plastic package of stick-on fingernails I was getting ready to send to my granddaughter. It struck me that the plastic container would make a very suitable travel palette if the fingernails were to be gone. The way it's made prevents contents of each compartment from spilling over into another compartment which would be very nice if your paints were soupy from using them recently. There are 15 compartments, so it would hold plenty of colors. It also has a little thing on the end to hang it up. How cool is that?

But I have so many paints now that I can't justify buying a tube set just to fill this nifty little gadget so I guess it will have to remain full of fingernails. :cry:The thing to hang it up with folds down and locks in the down position, I just discovered, so that's why it isn't showing.20220929_160433.jpg

Last edited:
If it has a reasonably tight-fitting lid, it could be used to hold oil paints. here's a photo: #124

Last edited:
6 1/8" X 3 3/4" X 3/4"

It's really just a centimeter or so less than 3/4" deep, but that's as close as I could figure it out on the depth. It would work well for watercolor I'm sure.

My LAC eyeshadow from the Dollar Store is 4" x 2 3/4" x less than 1/2" high--shirt pocket size, I suppose.
I used a toothpick to dig the eye shadow out. The piece of yarn you see is long enough to provide me a handle if I decide to carry it that way. It provides me with enough space for a few ~4x6 paintings.
top row. ultramarine /cyan in same well, cerulean only (this time) the third well I reserve for a few drops of oil. Any left after finishing, I wipe out with a paper towel to avoid leaks)
Row 2 cad yellow light & hansa yellow, cad orange, cad yellow med, last well, maybe more oil...
Row 3, Aliz. Crimson + a red, then burnt sienna (sometimes with raw, or y. ochre) last well, burnt umber
Row 4, black, then green(s) then a bit of paper towel + a few drops of clove oil.
The white, along the edge.
I used to clamp it to the edge of a clipboard, leaving enough room for a paint paper and mixing area.

PA281909.JPG

I've since eliminated the twin cups. I can clip a trash bag and paper towel to it if needed.

There is no reason it wouldn't work for water colors

ntl that's a nifty little setup you have there. I love seeing how people improvise art supplies. There's no reason to buy things we can make work instead. :)

ntl that's a nifty little setup you have there. I love seeing how people improvise art supplies. There's no reason to buy things we can make work instead. :)
Like...
Pens from bamboo shafts, or
from seagull feathers, or
pen nibs from aluminum cans? 😉

Water color holders are fun, and you can make them as large or small as you like. Sooo...

I think I got this from Linny (wife), although she denies it.
DSLR 1st (Sm).jpg

The space in the middle had a sawed-off kiddies' paintbrush. 🤮

Then there's the gouache (makeup) holder:
DSLR Makeup Kit with Gouache (Sm).jpg

Altoids tins were all the rage at one time; the dividers come from fluorescent light covers. This is a WIP, as I've misplaced the original.
DSLR Altoids WIP (Sm).jpg

But some Altoids tins don't work too well!
DSLR Altoids - Tiny (Sm).jpg

And lastly, ye olde cassette tape holder!
DSLR Cassette Tape Holder (Sm).jpg

I would look at a DVD or VCR holder, but they just would not fit in my pocket! 😢

--Rich

Oh, pen nibs from cans sounds intereresting.
My mom is already going crazy wiht my ever growing collection of usefull trash.
I always collected everthing it started when i was a child. Only thing changed is that i accutally use most of my collection.

I got a tiny empty tin, similar to an altoid tin that i bought for watercolor use.
I dont know where i put it.

Oh, pen nibs from cans sounds intereresting.
They are called "folded pens" and can be bought 😱 or made from aluminum cans. 😊
My mom is already going crazy wiht my ever growing collection of usefull trash.
It's not trash! It's raw materials for your recycle/reuse efforts! 😉
I always collected everthing it started when i was a child. Only thing changed is that i accutally use most of my collection.
I understand. I have books, cameras, electronic parts. The best is my collection of free programming languages - the whole set fits on a thumb drive. 'Course, you need a computer to run them... 🙄
I got a tiny empty tin, similar to an altoid tin that i bought for watercolor use.
I dont know where i put it.
Time for more Altoids, then! 😂

--Rich

Sadly most candy that comes in tiny metal boxes is mint flavored. I hate the flavor mint. Even in toothpaste.

Y
Sadly most candy that comes in tiny metal boxes is mint flavored. I hate the flavor mint. Even in toothpaste.
Ya'd think – considering what mint toothpaste does to orange juice – someone would have come up with a coffee flavor! 😉
Of course, you may want to consider that I bought the makeup kit even though I don't wear makeup... But that's totally up to you. 😊

--Rich

Back