Sad news

Rest in peace Elizabeth R. She was the greatest monarch we have ever had.
Patricia

A great loss.

God save the King.

Feels very unreal. My whole life it's only been "Her Majesty", not "His"

That's so sad, I've always admired her. During WWII, 19-year-old Princess Elizabeth joined the Auxiliary Territorial Service (ATS), the women’s branch of the British Army, beginning her training as a vehicle mechanic. She's the longest living monarch in British history. As a child I watched her inauguration in 1952 on television. She's been a stabilizing influence on the world scene, we thought she'd live forever. RIP

1662672141526.jpeg

A very sad day. She was an incredible woman. It has felt very strange this evening.

Queen of all the United Kingdom. It won't be the same without her.

I just love this picture of her, with Prince Philip:

7dG1NQXs.jpg

Rest in peace. Long live the King.

Though the USA doesn't have royalty, most of us have always had a soft spot for Queen Elizabeth II. It's a tough job, even though a cushy life, and she seems to have kept her balance despite lots of shaking. If nothing else, she gave the UK a sense of honor, stability and continuity, even as its place on the world stage and its fortunes declined markedly. She was not the only queen in the world by far, but whenever folks heard or said the words "The Queen", you knew exactly whom they were speaking about. RIP, Lillibet.

I'm very sad she's gone, too. Such a wonderful woman and so devoted to her role. I really felt as though someone I knew had passed. I don't know how King Charles will do as King, but with such a mother, he'll probably do quite a decent job. Let's hope.

Back