Roseate Spoonbill Babies (cross posted in Colored Pencils)

JSparrow

They're chicks, I know. But I've been calling them babies for too long to stop now. :LOL:

Colored Pencil on 8X10 Ampersand Pastelbord
Reference Photo by Tim Comeaux

Finally done!

This one has been on the shelf, half finished, for so many long months that I forgot what my strategy was for completing it. Also, despite the fact I probably bought every premium pink pencil I could find out there with an eye towards drawing the adults of these beautiful birds in the future, none of the shades felt right for what I was seeing in the reference. So, not exactly the results I hoped for, but I'm pleased enough with it.

20220302_212201.jpg

Last edited:
This is really a great little drawing (or painting, not sure if you can call pencil work a painting, even though pastel work is called painting.) In any case it is great! ❤️❤️

Wow that's so beautiful! I didn't know that colored pencils could be used on Pastelbord. I guess the tooth helps you lay down more pencil? I'm glad you had several pinks to choose from.

This is really a great little drawing (or painting, not sure if you can call pencil work a painting, even though pastel work is called painting.) In any case it is great! ❤️❤️
Thank you for the kind compliment. I've never been quite sure what to call it either. I've heard some pencil artists refer to it as drawing but when it comes to it with the color mixing, the solvents on a paint brush to melt the wax and blend the colors, and well the whole approach feels more akin to painting. But until I hear other professional pencil artists refer to it as such, I suppose I will just call it a drawing.

Wow that's so beautiful! I didn't know that colored pencils could be used on Pastelbord. I guess the tooth helps you lay down more pencil? I'm glad you had several pinks to choose from.
Yes, I liked the Pastelbord a lot but not quite sure I will favor it over paper in the future. Mostly because the tooth prevents achieving complete coverage which is just a personal bugaboo of mine. But I did like that it took the excess layers really well, the grey tone helped with laying in values and white, and I like a hard panel too. I just wish they were not so expensive (and that I could get the complete coverage.)

And thank you all for likes, loves, and compliments. They are appreciated!

I did comment on this in Colored pencils. It's really wonderful and it's amazing how you did this in this medium. ♥️

Yes, I saw your comment. Thank you so much. One of the reasons I chose to learn pencils was some of the amazing examples I've seen of what can be achieved with them, but like someone said in the colored pencil forum, they take a huge chunk of time to work at that level. I'm more likely to play with my paints right now, now that I have more space, but I will say my level of control is better with the pencils than it is with paint. I'm trying to fix that.:LOL:

@jennaboo88 I agree. They are darling! So fun to work with.

A belated thank you to both of you! Your comments very much appreciated.

I don't know how this could be improved. Wonderful piece of art!

Amazing... I just wish to see it live up close ... really enjoy the color contrast with the ligh blue traces.

Back