RIP Michael Nesmith

Terri

Supporting Member
The guitarist for the iconic American made-for-TV band, The Monkees, died today of natural causes.

Even though The Monkees were an extremely tongue-in-cheek TV act, they actually had musical chops.

Here's Michal Nesmith showing he does, in fact, know how to play the guitar in one of my favorite Monkees songs, written by Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart, "Valleri"

Nesmith was also a songwriter, writing "Different Drum" which was recorded by Linda Ronstadt and became a huge hit for her.

The Monkees were part of my childhood!! ❤️ They made me laugh and sing a lot, which ain't bad.

I just saw notice of his death in an online paper. Somehow these icons from my childhood dying makes me feel old! I remember coming home from school as a kid and watching the show in the afternoon, most likely in reruns by then. I didn't know he wrote Different Drum. Nesmith's mother invented Liquid Paper. Mickey Dolenz is the last surviving member.

"Last Train to Clarksville;" "Pleasant Valley Sunday"; they recorded some good pop songs and their TV show was goofy Saturday fun back in the days of yore. Requiescat in pace, Michael Nesmith.

This is the first I am hearing of this and I am saddened to learn of this. I knew him. I grew up with the family (his ex-wife's kids), and one of his sons is a very good friend of mine. I don't even know what to say. I know a lot about this man. He was a genius and a complicated person. I am so sad, and am now very sad to make this phone call today to my friend to give my condolences.

RIP.

This is the first I am hearing of this and I am saddened to learn of this. I knew him. I grew up with the family (his ex-wife's kids), and one of his sons is a very good friend of mine. I don't even know what to say. I know a lot about this man. He was a genius and a complicated person. I am so sad, and am now very sad to make this phone call today to my friend to give my condolences.

RIP.
I'm so sorry you had to hear about this on your own forum! :( Condolences to you are in order, as a family friend. ❤️

I'm glad (not glad, but rather here than the news) I heard it on my own forum. No worries. Thank you Terri. ♥️

Back