Reposting of Afternoon Pools-Diebenkorn-inspired

Artyczar

I'm only reposting this because Diebenkorn was brought up in John's recent post, and this piece was most likely sorta/kinda Diebenkorn-influenced in a lot of ways. Almost an experiment. I don't even know if I liked how it turned out, but it was sold before I could even decide, so someone liked it. It's partly architectural and partly abstracted--a large watercolor on 22.5 x 30-inch 300# Arches paper.

afternoonpoolsdetail.jpg

I don't remember seeing this one before and ended up looking at for awhile...before I even got outta bed! I love these "architecture-inspired paintings" that you do so well. This one has such a lightness AND solidity at the same time. I don't use watercolor but that seems hard to do. I adore the pink bar with the tiny blue vertical line. And the pop of that green triangle! And can't imagine it without the red stripes. It all seem like well thought out bits of perfection. Nice!

This is so impressive and I'm glad to hear that it's big! The deep blue "sky" at the top against that gorgeous strip of pink are so calming compared to the lower half. It's a beauty, Ayin.

Wow! Thank you all! What positive response. I am touched and flattered at the deeper observations. It is a learning experience for me and makes me even start to see some of my better choices. Thank you so very much! ♥️

I see the Diebenkorn (and I'm a big fan of his work), but I also see a little Hockney — I keep looking for a person getting out of the pool!

Seriously, though, I really like this.

John saw Hockney too and I take that as a compliment. Though I never really followed him, I do like his work very much. Thank you.

I remember this one well, and am enjoying it again. It’s a very good and successful abstraction in very many ways.

Thank you Patrick, sno, and trufflecat. I really appreciate your comments very much! This was slightly different for me.

Back