Red Rose

Schuee

I tried a rose (photo courtesy of Suzanne Wallick). I am not proficient with pastels and want to improve. I had to stop working on it as my eyes and nose were running from the pigment dust. Its Carbothello pencils on Pastelmat paper.

795C08F0-00F0-43BB-BF26-73BC852E50C9.jpeg

Nicely done Penny! I like how you kept the petal colors separate and didn’t blend them together. I’m so sorry that your eyes and nose reacted to the pastels like they did!

Thank you, Donna. I would like to get more Pan Pastels. as they are less dusty, but they are too expensive for me to buy a lot at a time.

Beautiful Penny. I know what you mean about the dust. That's why I haven't worked in pastel even though I love the results people get with it.

Your reds are beautiful! Love your rose. I agree with your comments about soft pastels. You did wonderfully here with what I consider to be a challenging medium.

I would love to have your proficiency. Sounds like you will be sharing more of your art. I am looking forward to seeing it.

I love this rose. I guess the image is even more beautiful than the photo.
I did know about Carbothello pencils since many years, however I did never buy/use them. I didn't know that they can make lots of annoying dust. It mus be similar to the charcoal. Incidently, I lately bought a bloc of charcoal paper and a box of 50 charcoal sticks. I seems that I need to wear a Covid mask when working with them to stay safe.

By the way, do you use any fixative spray for the Carbothello pictures?

Thank you very much, classic. it is a beautiful rose and I’m glad you think I’ve done it justice.

I bought Carbothello pastel pencils as Jason Morgan, the excellent wildlife artist, recommended them. They are soft and dusty, rather like charcoal. What a good idea to wear a mask when using them. I will do that in future.

It was recommended not to spray pastels as it darkens them.

Back