Red Fox Motif

RWSewell

Hello Colored Pencil forum!

I've been a colored pencil artist for years. I'm one of those guys who pains over every small detail and colored pencil lends itself well to photorealism. Lately I've been incorporating graphic paper cutting to enhance my CP work (or is it the other way around?), framing them with stained glass-inspired embellishment. For this fox I wanted to add a simple gold filigree paper cutting and warm colors.

Red Fox Motif
16" x 20" mixed media paper cutting
Prismacolor pencil on orange Canson Mi-Teints paper
Reference photo credit: Samantha Georges, used with permission

Red Fox Motif.jpg

Thanks for letting me share. Hope to meet you soon.

:) Rob

The fox is stunning and so beautifully enhanced by that amazing paper cut work. What is the name for that kind of paper work?

This is so good! Love the detail of the fur - it looks so soft. The frame is beautiful too and enhances the subject nicely.

Thank you very much, everyone :)

This fox was originally framed in blue and silver, giving this piece a wintery feel. It wasn't long before I decided to warm the piece a bit, ditching the chilly colors and turning up the heat.

Here's the original composition:

Winter Fox.jpg

And here's a WIP photo showing the piece at an early stage:

Winter Fox WIP.jpg

:) Rob

This is just beautiful Rob! The complementaries go so well together. Great work. I'd like to see you start a thread and post all of your great paper cutting pictures. ❤️❤️

Back