Professional Artists you Admire

C

Captainnumber36

Pollock (Drip-Technique works).

Still (The ones that look like flames)

Rothko (I don't like the one that was the cover to a CD, and I don't like the church stuff but love all else I've seen by him).

Krasner (All of it that I've seen)

Albers (The precise geometric ones)

Kline (All of what I've seen)

Klein (The blue ones that breathe more by my judgement)

Frankenthaler (All of what I've seen, she's new to me)

Malevich (I like his more precise shapely works)

Solages (He reminds me of Franz Kline, but darker for a lot of his work).

All are artists I look up to and admire greatly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like Hermes my list is far too long. The first name on it is Paul Klee ;-)
One other artist I admire for his body of work and thoughts is Georg Baselitz , an excellent sculptor also.
Yes, the list of usual suspects I like is rather long, so today I will mention three painters who may not be so obvious: John Minton, Keith Vaughan, and Antoni Tapies. I have venerated Tapies since I met his work in my late teens. Antony Gormley is a sculptor I love very much.

I agree with much of the original list, to which I would add Nicolas de Staël, Joan Mitchell and Howard Hodgkin. Good to see a mention for Pierre Soulages. He died a month or two back at the age of 102.

I agree with much of the original list, to which I would add Nicolas de Staël, Joan Mitchell and Howard Hodgkin. Good to see a mention for Pierre Soulages. He died a month or two back at the age of 102.

I liked all three of your additions. Thanks for sharing!

I liked all three of your additions. Thanks for sharing!
Glad you like them. I think De Staël in particular is underrated... I'll also throw in Jean-Paul Riopelle and Juan Uslé. As Hermes and Erik said, the list is very long. I have a particular thing for lyrical abstraction.

Glad you like them. I think De Staël in particular is underrated... I'll also throw in Jean-Paul Riopelle and Juan Uslé. As Hermes and Erik said, the list is very long. I have a particular thing for lyrical abstraction.
Then I'm sure you like Sam Francis. He was good at lyrical abstraction.

Juan Uslé is new to me; thanks for introducing him! I like his work.

As a paper sculptor, when people ask who inspires my art, I direct them to the works of Calvin Nicholls and Jeff Nishinaka. Very different approaches but goes to show the versatility of paper art.

Back