Pick It Apart If You Will

Enyaw

namuh
FotoSketcher - 1111.jpg

The Picnic
11 x 14 oil on paper .. alla prima .. painted Aug 11/22

Not sure what I got. I was on medication and not feeling all that great but I pushed through and ended up with this. I love it and I hate it. I would like you to look and be honest. The good the bad the ugly. I'm rather curious as to how it comes across as art. I really don't care if you think it good or bad but I am interested in your observation based on nothing but this piece.

The lower right quadrant needs a stronger and more colorful image of something - maybe a bowl - to counter the weight of the vase of flowers.

I love the composition. Maybe a wee bit more contrast from the objects and table? That could just be how the colors are coming across on my screen. I also agree with Zen - just a lil' somethin' something in that corner

The lower right quadrant needs a stronger and more colorful image of something - maybe a bowl - to counter the weight of the vase of flowers.
Yes, a good point. Thank you Zen.

Maybe a wee bit more contrast from the objects and table
Another good point. Thank you CaliAnn

I do appreciate the effort and courage to step up and offer upgrades.

Kinda reminds me of Pierre Bonnard somehow.

I like CaliAnn's contrast observation. I understand what Zen says about the balance, but another object on the table would complete a wall and give me no entrance into the painting. I dunno 🤔

Kinda reminds me of Pierre Bonnard somehow.

I like CaliAnn's contrast observation. I understand what Zen says about the balance, but another object on the table would complete a wall and give me no entrance into the painting. I dunno 🤔
Thank you Lamar .. he meant statistically placed of course

and you remind me that I need to fill my glass again as the inspiration is dulling .. Bonnard is a good place to start.

Lack of contrast was my first observation, like CaliAnn. It's great for the flowers to be the focal point, but the rest needs a little more. Another object could do it or simply adjusting the values of what's there already. I don't know if you revise paintings or if they're "one and done" but this one would be easy to improve.

Thank you Angela. One and done as I mostly do studies. I will tackle this later. Still on the short side energy.

Reactions: amo
I agree it needs a bit more contrast in the values, but the composition is very good. Great pastel colors. :)

Thank you Ayin. I tried another version this morning but with no more success. I could not generate enough interest. When I realized my failure I just redid the panel as some way out piece non related in any way. I couldn't remember why I wanted to paint the original piece.

I came back to view again. I love the composition, it's so interesting. I keep seeing a single cherry in the corner, with the stem pointing to the other objects on the table. Not a bright red, but a suggestion of red ... lol! Does that even make sense?!?! A suggestion of red?

Thank you CaliAnn. To me it's the background. I see Knights, houses, and all kinds of things in there.

I somehow missed this one so here I am to pick it apart. I agree with Zen for the first thing and other than that the objects on the table need shadows and possibly highlights. T-t-t-t-t-hat's all folks. :giggle:

Back