Old Barns at Hayling

Arnie

mini-BarnsOnHayling_2.JPG

From a photo I took recently. Focusing on values, edges, cool/warm mix, and rhythms. Did a watercolour underpainting first, which shows thru in lower half – saved having to use Gamsol to get colour into the grain!
C&C Appreciated. Thanks for looking. Arnie
Sennelier Oil Pastel on Hahnemuhle Aniversary Watercolour paper 40x30 cm

This is so nice, Arnie! I love the little bit of light just hitting the farthest barn. For some reason that just really makes the painting for me. Your underpainting worked very well!

Over all it's a quiet little country scene but your horizon line of trees and sheds form an almost perfect straight line. Variance creates interest and sheds that fence or boxed in look. I like the water on the trail .. that is a real nice attraction.

Lovely! I agree with Donna about the play of light on the barn, and overall your shadows look great. I appreciate Wayne's comment about the near straight horizontal line, but I'm willing to bet the photo ref showed this. I think you successfully broke the line up with varying heights of trees and the other outbuilding, so it's not bothering me.

Your clouds are so wonderfully done! What shades of Senns are you using to get them? That Senns white can be fearfully bold!

Over all it's a quiet little country scene but your horizon line of trees and sheds form an almost perfect straight line. Variance creates interest and sheds that fence or boxed in look. I like the water on the trail .. that is a real nice attraction.
Thanks Wayne. Its a corner of a large field, in a very flat landscape. I take the point that the horizon trees and sheds are straight, but have attemped to hide that on the left and keep the interest in the coi. Was hoping the mood and rhythm would carry the viewer into the scene.

Lovely! I agree with Donna about the play of light on the barn, and overall your shadows look great. I appreciate Wayne's comment about the near straight horizontal line, but I'm willing to bet the photo ref showed this. I think you successfully broke the line up with varying heights of trees and the other outbuilding, so it's not bothering me.

Your clouds are so wonderfully done! What shades of Senns are you using to get them? That Senns white can be fearfully bold!
Thanks Terri.
Yes its a crop from a photo i took - and played round with background, and the water in the fg. In the clouds I used violets: 209, and 17, and Yellow 19/20 and tittanium white on top and mixed in.

Sorry Arnie.
Sometimes I can't see past the way I would do it and that is wrong. Everybody has their own sled to pull. I will learn to mind my own business and open my eyes to what is offered and not what I'd like to see on the plate. :)

Sorry Arnie.
Sometimes I can't see past the way I would do it and that is wrong. Everybody has their own sled to pull. I will learn to mind my own business and open my eyes to what is offered and not what I'd like to see on the plate. :)
You made a valid point and expressed it. You also ended you crit with a positive making it balanced. Thanks arnie

I think it's a beautiful painting. Your paintings always make me sigh with contentment. Something very soothing about them that I love

It's a beautiful scene. I love the whole feel of it. I really like the sky and clouds and water in the wheel ruts. 🙂

Back