New here. Critiques/feedback welcome

Hull290

Greetings. I’m new here and after a long hiatus, decided to pick the pencil again. Any and all critiques and feedback would be appreciated as I’m out if practice.

Attachments

• C2B3A78C-DE15-4427-9EE4-C8CE72ED88A9.jpeg
    C2B3A78C-DE15-4427-9EE4-C8CE72ED88A9.jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 68
Welcome! Pull up a chair and stay a while! For just getting back to it, this is pretty impressive. I'm looking forward to seeing more.
I think this is generally well rendered, the structure and texture seems correct. I did not realize the head was so low, the hump so high :)
but I wonder why there's only one front leg. I do find that jarring.

Wow! Great job, Hull, and welcome to the forums! Good to have you here. When you get a chance, introduce yourself in the Welcome Center and tell us a little more about yourself. :)

Maybe the other leg is behind because they are walking forward? I think this is excellent, and it shows good values and texture. Well done. Glad you're back at it. Keep going. 👏 (y)

Thanks for the feedback. After I finished, walked away for a day and came back to it, the “one front leg” look hit me too. Both legs are there it just looks like a “unileg” because of the amount of fur. Probably should have taken more liberties and removed that potential distraction. I’m actually glad I wasn’t the only one to see it 🙂

This is great. You can always make the front leg a bit lighter in value to separate them. You may not see that in the photo you worked from. You have a good eye.

Really good work, Hull! You've gotten some good feedback here. Photo refs are great to work from, but it's also easy to get caught up in it and go for that exactness, when your own touch will usually end up being so much better. :)

Happy to see this first bit of work from you - looking forward to seeing more!

Back