"Money Killed Art"

Not here, we continue to make images for our own satisfaction and the admiration of our fellow artists. There are some fine artists here who are prolific and serious about selling. I think most of us just like the process, the tools, the materials, the smells, the mess, the culture and history, challenges to creativity and eye and hand coordination, personal redemption, etc.

Agree with Zen! 😀 There will always be some folks who are in it for the money, and *it* can be literally anything. That can spiral out of control, and while it doesn't kill art, it can create another crevice between moderation and the rarified air that few of us inhale.

Me, I like getting my hands dirty. 😆

Thanks. I'll watch this soon. I wish I had time!!

As far as the concept of money killing art, I don't think that's entirely true, but I understand the basic premise. I think it's all how it affects the artist. When it comes to the filthy rich, I think that is a whole different world unto its own. That's the top 1% of the classes. That has nothing to do with the real world or real life in my opinion. In real life, artists and collectors have hearts (generally speaking). There are some exceptions, of course. Money can damage anyone in any field, not just art. It all comes down to one's integrity!

Money has a bad influence on all kinds of human endeavours. Take for instance sports. I think art is simply no exception, and it it´s in a way worse because it is so difficult/impossible to put an objective value/price on a piece of art.

Oh, I certainly don't believe that art is dead at all. I believe the high end of the art market is deadening! But I've stated that rant here before, so won't repeat it. This particular video details what's wrong with the high end, the "art market" that makes the news and makes or breaks the big name artists and the museum trends.

Galleries are dying, and they were a tough business long before the Web changed the way people access art and things to buy. Since most of us have no chance of ever ending up in museums, galleries were at least a local option.

My fervent wish in my locale, where there are many good artists, would be to have more spaces that the public is likely to visit open to more artists. Spaces where you don't have to be well known, at the top of the field, or the latest trend to have a few weeks on the walls.

In my small town there are lots of opportunities for local artists to hang in public spaces and community galleries, openings, etc. Los Angeles proper have those same types of things: co-ops, artist associations, and the like. These are steppingstones to get into bigger galleries and work your way up to nonprofit and municipal museums and more. I don't think it's all that "impossible" if your work is good.

Back