Long Branch

Bartc

Back to Long Branch Saloon & Farm in Half Moon Bay, CA for some painting today. Snagged two quickies: 12x9" Caran D'Ache crayon on watercolor paper of a barn against the hillside; 3x5" ink & watercolor on paper of a windmill. B. Charlow 2023
Long Branch 2023.jpg
Long Branch windmill WC 2023.jpg

Love these. There was a wooden windmill at the last ranch where my father worked I loved to see it. This is a good memory.

I really like these Bart. Nice work and rendering on them. ❤️
Thanks, Ayin. Just playing, when the lighting in the intended Wild West town scene didn't give me the composition I wanted.

They really are just quickies, though I confess to spending a little more time on the crayon painting, because I'm learning to use this new medium. Not sure whether I'm jazzed about it, though. It is very much drawing with crayons (OK, we're all kids) and quick sketching, until you put water to it and then it opens up to more potential. I was intrigued by sketches a friend used to make with these and then seduced by YT vids about Caran D'Ache Neocolor II for the water effects. Overall, I don't find them better than watercolor pencils, and frankly, I can sketch easily with ink and watercolor. But it's a novelty and easy to carry and pull out. I have yet to try them with pastel overlay, which would be my next experiment.

The windmill was a simple ink and wash deal, that I did to show a colleague how she could simplify or eliminate the background detail to emphasize the windmill in her oil painting of it.

Nicely done, for a couple of quickies. ;) I see improvement in your Neocolor technique.

These are great - the first one is colourful and expressive and I just love the windmill. :)

Back