Landscape sketch #2

Donna T

Another one in my watercolor paper sketchbook. I used Photoshop to put the reference in grayscale and then posterized it. I'll be doing that again. 7x7 acrylic with a few touches of Neo Color II water soluble crayons.
IMG_3288pscs.jpg

Oh, you got your Neo Colors, Donna! This is beautiful, and an interesting approach. Your blues are gorgeous!

Thanks Terri. I really like the Neo Colors so far! They go on so easily and if I don't like what I've done they wipe off with a damp rag, at least on top of acrylics. Maybe their crayon feel will remind me of drawing like a kid again. I need that! 🙂

Very lively color. Posterize, I assume was you making a limited value notan.

Wayne, posterizing with Photoshop does kind of serve as a notan in that it lumps similar values together. I get distracted by too many values as well as too many colors! :rolleyes:

Lamar, I got the set of 40 Neo Color II so I'd have enough colors to play with.

Thanks Sno, Bart and Jo.

I get distracted by too many values as well as too many colors! :rolleyes:
I have used it for awhile. I even went so far as to have my palette in 5 values to help with mixing values. I don't need it much these days because with the help of photoshop I have learned how to see my values as I can now break it down into large shapes and fewer values on my own. Anything that teaches is good.

Murray, Patrick, OleKobe and Arty - thanks for looking and letting me know what you think.

Wayne - I still have trouble getting the values I want with acrylics because they change as they dry. Oils seem to behave better in that regard.

I heard that but don't use acrylic except for maybe a panel toning.
You are an advanced student of the game, the understanding won't elude you that long.

This is very nice. The trees, the flowers, the distant purple hill. You really captured the impression of standing in the beautiful meadow. Great job (and thanks for the technical tips).

You did a fantastic job on it.
Personally I don't like the look of the crayon lines in the sky as much but I really like how you used them in the grass and the branches.

Thanks for the comment, 16ga - I appreciate knowing that the lines in the sky don't do it for you. I think I put them there in an effort to keep from being too literal but I can see how they are a little distracting. I hope to find a pleasing balance one of these days, where a painting has some surprises up close but looks realistic from a distance.

Back