How has art changed?

P. Barrie

Interesting blog on Frieze website. Has several statements/insights from artists, collectors, curators, etc. “different” players in the art world on changes and influences on art, artists and “other” influences of change. IMO, Not an easy read for all entries, as some lean towards poetry or academia.

Pretty old article considering most of those people don't hold the same positions now as they did some years back. I don't agree with what some have said, but do agree with what some others have said, especially with the census regarding the overcrowding of collectors that don't know much about art buying young MFAers work, and how maybe the whole museum/academia connection was not a good idea after all. I think Libby Lumpkin said something to that effect. Kind of a dense article. I was also surprised at some of the things Baldessari said on his Good and Bad list. Weird.

Yes, most of their views seem to be based on their own relative positions in the “Art world”. I guess that would be expected. Anyway it gives the article some diversity in opinion. Seems many of them became frustrated by the influence of a more global market which has been a shift in the control of marketing “authenticated art”.

As a selling and gallery artist you may not like to hear this. I think the internet has allowed more artists to offer the availability of original artwork to the broader public masses. I think this is a good thing, although I am not motivated to market my work for now, as I still have adequate retirement income. Most of the pieces I part with are given away or traded for something or favors.

As a selling and gallery artist you may not like to hear this. I think the internet has allowed more artists to offer the availability of original artwork to the broader public masses. I think this is a good thing, although I am not motivated to market my work for now, as I still have adequate retirement income. Most of the pieces I part with are given away or traded for something or favors.
You're quite mistaken. As someone who got on the internet in 1996, it was my reason for doing it--to offer my art to a wider audience without having to rely on the brick-and-mortar galleries, especially because it was so difficult to get into one at the time, and for many years after. I will always be entirely grateful for the internet because it is a good thing.

The galleries I have been in usually represent via territories, and by other factors. They never have total power over every work of art, or forever. All contracts are negotiable in these ways. I have more freedom than others may think. I'm very aware of what the internet has done for artists. It's nothing short of a miracle.

Back