How do you cut your paper?

16ga

I was using a guillotine type paper cutter but no longer have access to it and am looking for ideas.
So how do you all cut down your art paper? By hand? Guillotine? Rotary cuter? What works best for you and what are the pros and cons of your method?

If the paper is too long for the guillotine, I use a straight edge ruler and a very sharp Exacto knife on top of a self-healing mat.
That's exactly what I do for larger sheets or foam core.

I keep a guillotine paper cutter in the darkroom, which handles smaller pieces quickly.

I mostly use a knife and metal ruler. However I read that many watercolor artists use the tear method for their watercolor papers.

I have used these three tools to cut paper and I have found that Guillotine cutters are best for large sheets of paper that need clean, straight cuts, while rotary cutters are ideal for smaller pieces of paper that require precision. Scissors are a versatile option for cutting paper of any size or shape, but they may not provide the same level of precision as other cutting tools.

Last edited:
Wow, I really must be doing something wrong. Using a sharp Xacto or other cutting blade I never get totally clean cuts on foamboard even with a metal ruler. And using it on paper or card not much better. Haven't had any luck with a rotary cutter either. I know an old fashioned office/school guillotine works like a charm, but I don't have access. Clearly I must learn something in technique.

I cut paper from a 40" wide roll and it's always a challenge. I have a large cutting matt on the floor and tape the end of the roll to that. I have a 48" metal T square I lay across and cut with an xacto knife. I line the short "T" side up with the edge of the paper in order to make a straight cut. The problem is the paper being thin tends to slip under the T - on a 40" long cut it only takes a slight mis-alignment to make a bad cut.

The paper I've been using for my larger paintings/drawings for years comes from a 48" roll. I use a 48" metal rule to measure and mark and then cut with an Xacto or a good pair of scissors. I'm going to tape the paper off all around so that I can repeatedly raise and lower the painting and staple or tack it to the wall. On smaller drawings/paintings I tend to tear the paper along the metal rule in order to get a deckle edge/

Back