Higher Power Calling

ZenDruid

Supporting Member
1655068755528.jpeg

This is a blind cross contour drawing, done decades ago in a life drawing class with a male model. The original drawing is at the bottom, this is a colored-in version finished today. The idea was to keep eyes on the model, following body contours, while the drawing hand tried to follow along, blindly. An exercise in observation, eye and hand control. I imagine some of you have done something similar. Anyway, the model is sitting on his legs, looking up at something hovering in the upper left corner. I don't remember what the hell that was. Let's pretend it was a messenger from his higher power and they're communicating (humor me). Ink, colored pens and pencils, shadings and effects in photoshop, on 18x24 inch, 65lb drawing paper.
C&C welcome, thanks for looking.

1655067835158.jpeg

Last edited:
I love the way you turned the drawing into such a multi-colored painting/drawing! Very imaginative and very pleasing. I love it!

Me too! This is so cool, Zen! I like that the higher power has an eye looking at the man and that the man isn't cowering. Sitting cross-legged seems pretty chill for that kind of meeting. :)

Me too! This is so cool, Zen! I like that the higher power has an eye looking at the man and that the man isn't cowering. Sitting cross-legged seems pretty chill for that kind of meeting. :)
Thank you Donna! It is a strange meeting. :)

I won't pretend to get it but the drawing is well composed. The carpet, the figure, the eyes, the gaze, and the object are all heading upward. I take that as a positive. They are hard to find so they are good things.

I won't pretend to get it but the drawing is well composed. The carpet, the figure, the eyes, the gaze, and the object are all heading upward. I take that as a positive. They are hard to find so they are good things.
Thanks Wayne! You got as much as I could hope for. :)

View attachment 22416

This is a blind cross contour drawing, done decades ago in a life drawing class with a male model. The original drawing is at the bottom, this is a colored-in version finished today. The idea was to keep eyes on the model, following body contours, while the drawing hand tried to follow along, blindly. An exercise in observation, eye and hand control. I imagine some of you have done something similar. Anyway, the model is sitting on his legs, looking up at something hovering in the upper left corner. I don't remember what the hell that was. Let's pretend it was a messenger from his higher power and they're communicating (humor me). Ink, colored pens and pencils, shadings and effects in photoshop, on 18x24 inch, 65lb drawing paper.
C&C welcome, thanks for looking.

View attachment 22413
That’s fascinating and unsettling all at once

I love blind contour drawings and I really lile how you've made this so creative and interesting! 🙂

Back