Guess the Artist 2

Hermes2020

Mention this artist's name, and most informed people respond either with adoration or almost violent hatred, not necessarily for his art.

My first clue is to look at the left figure's legs. That should tell you immediately who painted this.

Guess the Artist.jpg

Last edited:
I am most likely wrong as I feel it´s the "too obvious" guess, but here goes; Is it Picasso?

I am most likely wrong as I feel it´s the "too obvious" guess, but here goes; Is it Picasso?
I don't blame you for suggesting Picasso, but no, it is by another artist. I gave another clue (apart from the legs of the figure) when I implied that there are wildly different opinions about him in an area not related to his paintings.

I knew it was not Picasso, but can't quite put my finger on it. I know I'm going to kick myself when I find out. It seems way too neat to be DeKooning or Guston. It's not cubist enough to be Braque. I give up for now.

Sorry, none of the above. I will give it a few more hours before the next clue, which will be the name of a city in India.

Le Corbusier "In 1950, India’s prime minister Jawaharlal Nehru invited the architect Le Corbusier to design a modernist city that broke with the country’s colonial past." I had no idea about this so thanks, Hermes.

The horse directly reminds me of Guernica (sp?), so i would have guessed Picasso.

Le Corbusier "In 1950, India’s prime minister Jawaharlal Nehru invited the architect Le Corbusier to design a modernist city that broke with the country’s colonial past." I had no idea about this so thanks, Hermes.
Yes, it's by good old controversial Charles-Édouard Jeanneret, known as Le Corbusier. He was a good artist and, to my taste, a brilliant architect.

He was the main architect of the buildings at Chandigarh.

The legs shape I referred to was a reference to his Modulor Man.

Le Corbusier Modulor.png

Back