Gotta Have The Radio On

B

bob

when I'm painting or planning/sketching ideas for possible works I have to have the radio on or I'm online listening to music OR alternative news/information/talk show sites .

I just can't sit/stand & paint without listening to something .

a little while ago I was doing some sketching for possible future works & rocking out to the HEADPINS while doing so .
my fave song by them is " You're Still The One " off the HEAD OVER HEELS lp .

Last edited by a moderator:
what about you guys & gals out there .

Do you like peace & quiet while your painting or do you like some noise in the room like I do ?

I like to listen to music most of the time when I'm drawing,
painting or sculpting in clay. I have to turn it off if I'm sculpting
in stone [ can't hear it over the racket I'm making with the hammer and chisel ]

Sometimes , if I'm using a power tool and can just barely hear the music, I'll
leave the music on and turn off the power tool when the music gets to
a part that I particularly like - then turn on the power tool again
until the next good bit in the music ! :)

Well , you did ask !! :)

Cheers,
Patricia

I like to listen to music most of the time when I'm drawing,
painting or sculpting in clay. I have to turn it off if I'm sculpting
in stone [ can't hear it over the racket I'm making with the hammer and chisel ]

Sometimes , if I'm using a power tool and can just barely hear the music, I'll
leave the music on and turn off the power tool when the music gets to
a part that I particularly like - then turn on the power tool again
until the next good bit in the music ! :)

Well , you did ask !! :)

Cheers,
Patricia
Yes Patricia , I did ask 😂
my mom's name is Patricia 👍

Last edited by a moderator:
I never have music on. I like either the quiet, or hearing whats going on outside (animals,etc.). If the weather is bad, I keep the local news station on, on the TV or radio.

Local radio stations are horrible here out in the sticks. It´s either silence, or spotify. I really like the way you can select any kind of music, without interruptions.

For me, music in the background is great for spontaneous, abstract type painting. If I'm painting or drawing something and I need to be more methodical, music will subconsciously make me rush.

I work mostly in the very late hours at night, have tinnitus, and live near a very noisy swamp. So, I HAVE to have something playing when I work on my art. I listen to music, my diet gurus, alternative news/information/talk show sites (as you do), and even sometimes just let YouTube play my favorite art instructors while they go over the basics (that I already know but don’t mind being reminded.) I find the last to be quite relaxing, them talking color mixing and composition and all else while I only vaguely pay attention.

I can paint to silence, but usually, I have music playing. I think it helps to put me into that state akin to the so-called "runner's high". I don't usually employ music to put me into a specific mood or to reinforce the mood I am after in the work at hand. Considering the time-intensiveness of my paintings, I think I'd go nuts if I were stuck trying to maintain a single mood to match the work of art. I often make huge stylistic jumps in my music choices. I might go from The Rolling Stones to Mozart to Medieval Chant to The Louvin Brothers to Miles Davis in a single setting. I remember a studio mate laughing as I sat in my studio space after a long day painting with the lights turned down low... just spotlights on my large nudes... listening to Russian Orthodox Chant. He suggested that would be a perfect look for an exhibition: low lights shining on the gold leaf and me garbed like a Russian Orthodox Monk:

2000.jpg

:oops:;):)

That's on my playlists as well. Muddy Waters, B.B. King, Elmore James, etc... I went through a period when I was obsessed with the Blues... right after a period obsessed with real Bluegrass. I think that started after seeing Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?

I listened to a local station that played everything from Bryan Ferry/Roxy Music to My Morning Jacket and lots of good stuff in between. And yes, bob, I tried the sketch I was doing with and without music, and I enjoyed the music, but was absorbed in what I was working on either way. Until you asked, I don't remember ever consciously making a comparison.

Just different realms for me. Both interact well together but neither one needs the other to be enjoyed or productive.
I like diving into each one intensely and I enjoy each one immensely,...together or apart...

I usually dont paint with music on, but if I chose to it’s mostly instrumental, jazz or classical, no vocals. I love and play Blues on guitar and harmonica, but listening to that while painting would just make me want to go to my music spot and play with sound instead of paint and color. 🤣

IF I do listen to any music, I usually can't have anything with singing in it. It is distracting to me. It has to be classical or something like that, or maybe some reggae dub.

I prefer music only, no songs. It can be classical (Haydn, Mozart) or baroque (Bach, Handel, Vivaldi, ... ), sometimes jazz, or even something on between (I have in mind jazz arrangements of J.S.Bach works by Jacques Loussier).

I usually paint to podcasts…of all sorts. I like the incessant babble babble babble in the background that I can tune in and out of. Today I had CNN on and listened AALLLLLLLL day long to the depressing news. The juxtaposition of the dire seriousness happening out in the big mean world vs. the little painting noodlings going on inside my cushy studio space was kind of…jarring. Lost perspective, emotional itchiness, fretting while puttering.

It all makes me wonder - once again - why painting even matters.

Back